WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: request for realtime kernel  (Read 2220 times)

Offline hardbop200

request for realtime kernel
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:04:08 PM »
hi everyone!

(throwing this in the base section b/c it applies to the kernel, admins feel free to move if you need to.)

I'd like to request another kernel be added to tcl.  I threw this out on irc last night, but wanted to post it here to make it more "formal."

if you want to use linux for audio production, you need a preemptable kernel.  note this wiki page:

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Custom+Kernel

two things to mention:  first, CONFIG_HZ needs to be set at 1000 for midi timing to be tight; second, CONFIG_PREEMPT needs to be set at complete preemption.  (there's actually a patch to the kernel to make this fully preemptable, see http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page for more information.)  the high resolution timer also needs to be set to the highest setting, but I can't recall that setting off-hand.  anyway, current thinking is that the vanilla kernel with these changes made is good enough for most audio work.  ingo's preempt kernel patch would be wonderful, but I don't want to ask for the moon here, just a few config changes.

now what I should do is build this myself instead of whining about it in a request.  :)  however, I think this would benefit a few more folks than just me.  also, I'm not so sure that I have the expertise to package this up properly, thus I'm appealing to those far smarter than I am to help make this happen.

long story short, someone has already got alsa and the jack audio connection kit done, so it seems like the next logical step to have a proper kernel for music production.  I think it would please a lot of folks, and I for one would be really be happy!

best to all,

Josh

Offline billymyersiii

Re: request for realtime kernel
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »
I seriously second this!!!!!!! One of the biggest hangups with using a pc as a DAW or portable recording studio is the latency. You can have the best tools but if your latency is bad at the kernel level then your out of luck. I was brought to this forum via web search due to me looking for a linux distribution that is fast, light-weight, and has the potential to be used to convert a netbook into a portable studio. This is essential to sound engineers and looking for anyone that can make this happen. This low latency kernel would draw alot of attention to tiny core form the music market. If it has already been done, please point me in the right direction.

Offline danielibarnes

Re: request for realtime kernel
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 03:03:13 PM »
first, CONFIG_HZ needs to be set at 1000
I see that 64 Studio uses CONFIG_HZ=250. Is that preferable?

I considered writing a script that rebuilds the kernel and all modules in order to remaster TC with updated kernels. With a .config and a list of patches, it should not be too difficult to do this for real-time applications.