Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

Suggestion for v 3: Rename tce directory to apps

<< < (3/3)

roberts:
Long history (see http://www.shingledecker.org/NotYourFathersOS.html)  for my decision to use /opt.

When I started making distributions, the model was Knoppix.
This was a read-only compressed loop and well before unionfs/aufs.

I added a writable /opt to Damnsmall Linux. Easy to backup, much less crowded than trying to deal with extracting some of /etc. Besides even on a traditional system, you don't want to be hacking around /etc. /opt seemed better suited. /opt has served it purpose well. I don't see a compelling reason to change.

maro:
Fair enough, Robert.

When starting to write my post I thought of moving files from /opt to somewhere else to be a good idea. Towards the end of writing it I wasn't convinced anymore, but thought to put the "crude analysis" out into the public space anyway.

How about the mix of hidden and non-hidden files? Is there some form of logic behind this, or could they all be non-hidden?

Do you plan to remove the JWM reference from the .xsession file, since JWM isn't the default WM anymore?

Pats:
My 2 cents here:
In windoz, all system files are kept under System and System32 dire. and all applications ( whether OS provided or third-party ) are nicely bundled in Program Files.
So I think, if /tce is to be renamed to /apps or something then - it will be much better to provide an option to user at the tie of fresh installation of TC to choose his own dir. name for /tce.
( all my 3rd party windoz apps are kept under Apps dire and there may be some others also).

Otherwise - the present dire. stru is just fine for TC - if Gerald C. does not mind - off-cource ! :)
Another thing, improvement is one thing and altering the base structure is another one !
Frequent changes in base-str may pose many problems for TC in future releases !
Just an honest thought - nothing against anuone !

~ Pats

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version