WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Does tce-load work in 2.9  (Read 2659 times)

Offline mwhit95

Does tce-load work in 2.9
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:23:59 AM »
I am trying to get Tinycore 2.9v4 working on an old laptop and can't get an extention to load while booting text mode.  The X display is so bad I was trying to load up Xfbdev.tcz but I just get error using tce-load -i Xfbdev.tcz with full path or even moving the file to /tmp.  I even tried to manually mount the extension but no luck.  The laptop is a Dell Latitude 233MX with 64Meg and doesn't have a working CD or network card.

Offline andrewb

Re: Does tce-load work in 2.9
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:31:25 PM »
I needed to do the same to get my Toshiba Libretto working. You need to put Xfbdev.tcz in the tce directory, or wherever you have nominated that extensions will be loaded from at boot time. Then reboot to text mode, making sure you have the correct vga=xxx code in the boot line. At the command prompt run 'xsetup.sh' & then 'startx'. Remember to backup settings when closing down & edit the boot line in /boot/grub/menu.lst  to add the vga=xxx code. Next time you boot it should all go smoothly through to the gui.

The vga codes are explained in more detail at: http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Display+Modes

This page does need updated a bit & I will get round to doing that at some point.

Offline mwhit95

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:12:55 PM »
Version 2.9 with the on demand features confuses me and I am encouraged that you got it to work.  I was putting Xfbdev.tcz in the tce/optional directory but I will try it in /tce.  I could have permission issues too because I used DSL to do the install.

Offline mwhit95

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »
Moving Xfbdev to the tce directory didn't help and tce-load just won't work.  I did a regular mount on Xfbdev.tcz without squashfs and I was able to look at the binary file but didn't get it in the right place for xstart to work it.  Maybe there is a squashfs problem in 2.9.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:17:01 AM »
What's the exact error message?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline mwhit95

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »
When I type in tce-load -i /mnt/hda4/tce/Xfbdev.tcz the reply is

mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /tmp/tcloop/Xfbdev failed: Invalid argument

It is an old laptop with little RAM so that could be the problem.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 01:18:41 AM »
It could be that your Xfbdev extension is too old, before the 4kb update. Try downloading the latest from ibiblio.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline mwhit95

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 02:26:52 PM »
That was the problem.  I downloaded a new Xfbdev and it works great.

Thanks,
Mike