WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: minor extension for installation ease  (Read 1973 times)

Offline bb

minor extension for installation ease
« on: February 24, 2010, 01:25:12 PM »
The covenience of installation can be easily improved by adding some necessary programs to the disk:
cfdisk about 57 KB
grub about 900 KB
That does mean that one might install TC without any net connection. (May be the given volumes are not correct? Please do a  recheck.)
For non english users rethinking the keyboard is absolutely breaking the trained keyboard skills - I am confronted with such very often, so I do not have severe problems. But especially for new users that is a severe problem. My research showed for the complete  kmap about 3120 KB (?) and one might have the well known keyboard with the "tinycore lan= xx" option at the boot prompt at start.

I think that this accumulated extra 1 MB (about 10% more than actual) would be worth doing! Even with that extra MB tinycore is still the smallest distro!

Regards BB

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: minor extension for installation ease
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:34:26 PM »
IMHO cfdisk doesn't add any functionality which is not provided by fdisk except the curses user interface. There is nothing what you can't do with fdisk. Therefore it is not needed in the base.

If you are looking for a smart partitioning tool there is sfdisk which is scriptable. But even sfdisk is not needed in base.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:18:02 PM »
I think it is important to make it as easy as possible for people with little or no understanding.

For those people GParted would be easier.

If somebody wants a challenge, they could make an installation extension.

This extension could automatically download GParted, then allow the user to set up partitions. Then ask which partition they want Tiny Core, and automatically download Grub and set it up, then set up MBR. It could give users certain choices.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline bb

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:45:24 AM »
cfdisk was just an idea of 57 KB. indeed, cfdisk does not offer more functionality than fdisk, but a bit more comfort. cfdisk might substitute fdisk completely, or sfdisk or parted. Gparted is about 27 MB and blows up TC about 25%! I prefer TC as it is, beside the fact that I prefer cfdisk ofer fdisk - just a question of personal taste. 

To add Grub has the convenience to enable an installation on disk without needing an internet connection. But I can live without as well.

The localisation to the familiar language and  more important a familiar keyboard is just an increase of comfort and important to prevent breaking fingers for non us/en users. In my oppinion this is the most important addto TC making friends.

Regards BB