WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: LXDE battery monitor  (Read 7590 times)

Offline althalus

LXDE battery monitor
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:24:23 PM »
Hey guys,

setting up a friend's laptop with a TC installation, and installed the LXDE extension.

I have an issue with the panel's battery monitor however - it's convinced the battery is at 100%, even though if I run ACPI I can see the battery is discharging and at 28%.

Any suggestions?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: LXDE battery monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 01:50:36 AM »
Better to ask at http://forum.lxde.org/ or report as a bug using LXDE bug tracking.

You can check battery health and current status without any tool, see http://digitizor.com/2009/10/14/get-laptops-battery-health-status-linux/
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 02:43:42 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline althalus

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »
mmm, unfortunately trying to make as painfree an experience in TC for a non-linux user (No other distro I'm aware of aside from puppy (which I do not enjoy using) can handle the hardware),  and need to be finished by about midday today - TC has proven to be the quickest place to get answers, assuming somebody else has already run into my problem or a similar one.

I was aware of /proc but it's not quite appropriate for my uses this time around. Thanks anyway =)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »
mmm, unfortunately trying to make as painfree an experience in TC for a non-linux user (No other distro I'm aware of aside from puppy (which I do not enjoy using) can handle the hardware),  and need to be finished by about midday today - TC has proven to be the quickest place to get answers, assuming somebody else has already run into my problem or a similar one.

I was aware of /proc but it's not quite appropriate for my uses this time around. Thanks anyway =)

On my notebook monitor works fine. Link to the article was sent to check battery info on your system to find something which may cause thw wrong reporting. Anyhow, would be interesting to see. Can you post them?
Béla

Offline althalus

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 02:39:17 PM »
Code: [Select]
tc@box:/etc/udev/rules.d$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/info
present:                 yes
design capacity:         24420 mWh
last full capacity:      23590 mWh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          11100 mV
design capacity warning: 2359 mWh
design capacity low:     707 mWh
capacity granularity 1:  264 mWh
capacity granularity 2:  3780 mWh
model number:           
serial number:           11
battery type:            Lion
OEM info:                Dell
tc@box:/etc/udev/rules.d$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          discharging
present rate:            8551 mW
remaining capacity:      17800 mWh
present voltage:         11432 mV
tc@box:/etc/udev/rules.d$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/alarm
alarm:                   unsupported
tc@box:/etc/udev/rules.d$
... It wouldn't be something as stupid as the monitor is hardcoded to look for BAT0 would it?

(On a different note, there is a request for automounting pen drives from the user - I've tried playing with udev but can't seem to find a set of rules that work...)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:20:42 PM »

... It wouldn't be something as stupid as the monitor is hardcoded to look for BAT0 would it?

It is grabbing information from /sys/class/power_supply It would require some investigation of the source code how battery number handled. Does BAT0 exists or only BAT1?

Anyhow I suggest to contact the author. Will PM his email address.

(On a different note, there is a request for automounting pen drives from the user - I've tried playing with udev but can't seem to find a set of rules that work...)

I have PCManFM compiled with HAL also which handles automount. Tested, it works. You can see them listed in the file manager window, but not desktop icon created as for example with Xfce4. If you need, I can send you this version for testing, it is not yet in the repo.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:23:43 PM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline althalus

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 04:54:25 PM »
It is grabbing information from /sys/class/power_supply It would require some investigation of the source code how battery number handled. Does BAT0 exists or only BAT1?

Anyhow I suggest to contact the author. Will PM his email address.
ACAD and BAT1 exist. ACAD is mains. I've run out of time to troubleshoot it this time round, but I'll take it up with him and see if he can offer anything for next time I visit family again.
I have PCManFM compiled with HAL also which handles automount. Tested, it works. You can see them listed in the file manager window, but not desktop icon created as for example with Xfce4. If you need, I can send you this version for testing, it is not yet in the repo.
That would be great. Will PM email address to you

[^thehatsrule^: fixed quotes]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 06:42:34 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »