General TC > Tiny Core on Virtual Machines

What? No Weepping corner in this forum?

<< < (2/4) > >>

meanpt:

--- Quote from: julianb on December 22, 2009, 09:16:36 AM ---meanpt - tinycore doesn't have anyone who's being paid to take care of those requirements for you.

volunteers might make those features available in a future release - i'm quite sure all of this is possible for a "20MB small core" based on tinycore, BUT only if a few people step up and write the code.

While we wait for that to happen (it might never happen) please consider a distribution like Masonux or Puppylinux, both of which you can find in a search engine.

--- End quote ---

Again, I do believe you,re also wrong on the requirements I posted. If I  wanted to use puppy I wouldn,t be here ranting and spending time. I do not whish tc to be a 20 mb OS, but to load and unload graphical command/options modules  >you know, modularity stuff?< mainly for what tc already does with text commands. But, of course, if  the main supporters and users want to keep it within a small club of linux wizards and geeks, instead of extending its critical mass of users, well it,s not up to me to criticize them. After all, I didn,t ask for tinycore, but after know it I did realize the potencial, if easier and with the current  and some more features became more accessible through simple and lite GUIs .

meanpt:

--- Quote from: JoXo009 on December 22, 2009, 07:13:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: meanpt on December 22, 2009, 04:29:32 AM ---My requirements ...
Until then, I'll be weeping ... :'(

--- End quote ---

Good news

--- End quote ---

:D I can see you managed to do it. As far as I can figure, you've mapped a E:drive in Windows (is it a virtual shared network folder "à la Virtualbox", or the bunch of complexities needed to create two shared folders in either guest and host OS's through some kind of network) while mounting a shared folder in your \mnt directory.

OK, don't make me spend the Christmas night and the New Year Eve looking for it. Please, kindly describe me your procedures for the OS's (linux guest and Windows host) and virtual box ... please?  ::)

[^thehatsrule^: fixed post]

JoXo009:

--- Quote from: meanpt on December 23, 2009, 05:23:13 AM ---... kindly describe me your procedures

--- End quote ---
If you want to do it yourself, try the following steps:

1. Install Sun's Virtual Box on your Windows system.

2. Start VitualBox with TC 2.7 iso (see screenshot)

3. Follow TC installation guide. As last step don't reboot, but shutdown and detatch the iso (screenshot of top2).

4. Start VirtualBox again, open appbrowser and install the following extensions: icewm, xfe, xfi, xfv, xfw, VBox-OSE-additions and reboot

5. Enable VirtualBox folder sharing
 a. Use upper Devices/SharedFolders ... to prepare Windows for sharing and call the share 'vBox' (see screenshot)

b. open xfe, create the new file 'startSharing', right click 'Edit' it as follows

c. make it executable by right clicking 'Properties'
 d. Double click that file and the /mnt/win directory should show the content of your vBox share

6. Integrate that feature into your icewm menu and you are done

If you are experienced and have done it more than 50 times, the whole process will be finished within less than an hour.

If you lack experience the whole process may need up to a month as there are a lot of details which can ruin your result. So maybe you might wait on my ready made VDI.

Happy holydays all and especially the TC team

JoXo009:
By the way,

if your Keyboard is not an US-keyboard

--- Quote from: meanpt on December 23, 2009, 03:41:25 AM ---I,m currently writing without the right keyboard configuration

--- End quote ---

do the following additional steps

4a. Install the extension kmaps, reboot, visit the folder /usr/share/kmap and decide which kmap file could be appropriate for your keyboard - for example the file de-latin1.kmap

4b. Visit the folder /mnt/hda1/boot/grub, rightclick the file menu.lst for editing and add a kmap=xxxx (without the .kmap ending) resulting in the following kernel line for example:
kernel /boot/bzImage kmap=de-latin1

After rebooting your keyboard should work properly.

Good luck

tclfan:
JoXo009:
Nice step-by-step instructions. A quick question related to Vbox additions extension: Do you get just mouse integration or video exceleration as well?
I have been primarily VMplayer user but recently I have done lots of testing of VirtualBox 3.1 and I see some specific architectural considerations that made me plan to move over to VirtualBox in spite of its future quite uncertain and possibly doomed (If it does happen, current 3.1.2 is good enough).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version