Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

Missing mkfs.ext4, mkfs.xfs, ...

(1/4) > >>

bmarkus:
filesystems-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tczm contains only kernel modules, binaries like mkfs.ext4, mkfs.xfs, ... are missing, therefore no way to create such extra file systems. Please add them to the extension.

^thehatsrule^:
If they aren't already in an extension, placing them in new extensions would be ideal.

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: ^thehatsrule^ on November 27, 2009, 01:28:53 AM ---If they aren't already in an extension, placing them in new extensions would be ideal.

--- End quote ---

I did not find them in any extension.

Well, utilities can go to a separate extension to follow the generic TC way. However if you are using such file systems you need the binaries to manage them and you will install anyhow the binaries extension and leave in your /tce in most cases. I see pros and contras. For me both versions are OK if I can format my drive for XFS :) However keeping them in one extension would save one loop device.

Jason W:
Normally file system utilities go in their own extension as separate and modular is the TC concept.  The filesystems extension is for the modules.

As for preserving loop devices, we are no longer using loop-aes in base, so the next kernel update will likely get rid of the 255 loop device limit since we will likely make loop-aes an extension.  So there is not a need for concern over loop devices in the long run.

I don't want us to see us retreat from the modular approach in concern for a loop device limit that is temporary.

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: Jason W on November 27, 2009, 04:53:34 AM ---Normally file system utilities go in their own extension as separate and modular is the TC concept.  The filesystems extension is for the modules.

As for preserving loop devices, we are no longer using loop-aes in base, so the next kernel update will likely get rid of the 255 loop device limit since we will likely make loop-aes an extension.  So there is not a need for concern over loop devices in the long run.

I don't want us to see us retreat from the modular approach in concern for a loop device limit that is temporary.

--- End quote ---

Fine, I forgot to add :) to my last sentence. Don't take it too serious.

Regarding the original question, the key is that these are missing and I would like to format a partition  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version