WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: icewm  (Read 15922 times)

Offline JoXo009

How to change ice menu
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 07:26:03 AM »
I tried iceWM. It's a nice extension - thanks for creating it.

My Question: Editing the file Home/.icewm/menu works fine. After storing the new verision the new menu is available immediately (no restart needed, obviously the new version is automatically read again.)

But that's true only till next reboot.

After reboot my version is disappeared no matter if I reboot with or without backup (or home=hda1 or even if I put not only the dir but the whole path ../.icewm/menu into the /opt/.filetool.lst) - and the old menu is back again :(

Is there a TC script creating this behaviour or is it some setting in iceWM (I have to search for)?

And if it's a TC script, do I need to rewrite the menu file each reboot by a script of my own started in .xsession, if I want to get my own menu?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: icewm
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 08:08:30 AM »
I am away from TC, but there is a static file in /usr/local/share/icewm/files in the extension that is copied to /home/$USER/.icewm/menu.  It is clearly referred to in /usr/local/bin/icewm_makemenu, I don't remember which one right now.  That is the file that you can make changes to and include in your backup if you want permanent changes to the icewm menu.  Of course, the extension section of the menu is recreated each boot.

I have not tried to back up the menu in /home, and that may or may not work for permanent changes.  Probably better to backup the source file that gets copied there.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:12:19 AM by Jason W »

Offline JoXo009

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 08:32:09 AM »
Quote from: Jason W
there is a static file in /usr/local/share/icewm/files
in the extension that is
copied to /home/$USER/.icewm/menu.  

I saw that file (it's called etcmenu) and thought it couldnt be the source as it has got another size - what I forgot is that the content of /usr/local/tce.menu are added automatically to the resulting file - increasing it's size.

So with your answer I'll be able to create my custom menu - thanks.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
One more thing.  As that etcmenu gets copied to /usr/local/etc/icewm (hence the name) you may want to back up the /usr/local/etc/icewm/menu file as I believe that is the one that gets copied to /home.  I think the chain is like this: /usr/local/share/icewm/files/etcmenu gets copied (if doesn't exist) as /usr/local/etc/icewm/menu, which gets copied to /home.  The copy to home is a force overwrite to prevent a second set of extension entries getting added to the menu on each boot.

But either way the modified file should arrive in /home.

Offline tinier

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 10:28:39 AM »
Also JoXo009, or any IceWm or TC newbee like me, who wants a quick way to go from a pristine TinyCore CD, to a lightweight Anti-Aliased look... The following package of changes below takes only 60,700 kb.

I had 1st made an empty c:\TCE folder on my Windows/DOS drive.

Boot pristine TC CD.

Use Apps Icon to 'Mount' the following and then reboot...

Libfltk-xtf - antialised font for ControlPanel, AppsBrowser, etc.
xFe - a light dual-panel file manager
xFw - its light editor
IceWM - menus, date/time, task bar, etc.

reboot with backup box checked

using xFe, make a new folder: '/home/tc/.icewm'

copy '/usr/local/share/icewm/preferences' to '/home/tc/.icewm' which seems to retain any changes to this preferences file.

Then to make more room on task bar, I edit and uncomment two lines in the new

'/home/tc/.icewm/preferences'

'TaskBarShowStartMenu=0'

'TimeFormat="%A %b %d, %Y - %H%M %S"'

Finally, to make fonts clearer, even on old screens, (since say a size 8 Bold
is not offered) I go into xFe, Edit, Preferences, Select Font to size 11
- and this passes the setting to Editor too.

reboot with backup checked.

Acer Aspire One 0756-2623, 1.4 GHz, 8 GB mem, 298 GB HD, 64 bit ~$250 Netbook (~Chromebook-series), w/Memorex - MRX-650LE v3 external DVD writer, w/Samsung 22" TV HDMI for 2nd monitor.

Offline JoXo009

improvement for 'restart'
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
icewm installation creates the menu entry
Exit TC/Restart Icewm
which has got no function, as 'restart' isn't needed after changing the icewm menu.

On the other hand something like 'restart' is needed in icewm after changing preferences, toolbar or winoptions. This 'restart' feature is called 'replace'.

I think it would be useful to offer that feature by changing the file /usr/local/bin/icewm_restart as shown above.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 10:23:27 AM »
I am going to revisit Icewm in the near future to update it's menu and try to work in On Demand features.

Originally, a restart function was not really needed so I didn't put priority on it.  I will make a functioning restart when I update the menu.