WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: icewm  (Read 15497 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: icewm
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 12:39:39 PM »
The themes are installed, just a matter of specifying them.  I removed the theme, shutdown, and other menu items upon compiling icewm to make a more TC compatible menu.  I recompiled with the theme menu put back in, but it did not work automatically.

Themes can be specified in a config file, since I don't use themes I forgot which one.  I will find out and put the info in the info file.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
Themes were not working due to a simple permission issue of /home/tc/.icewm in the initmenu file.  I also added back the themes menu.  Themes should be point and click now.

Code: [Select]
Title:          icewm.tcz
Description:    IceWM is a window manager for the X Window System.
Version:        1.2.37
Author:         Marko Macek, Mathias Hasselmann
Original-site:  http://www.icewm.org/
Copying-policy: LGPL
Size: 428K
Extension_by:   Jason W
Comments:       Needs fontconfig and expat2.
Change-log:     ----
  2009/06/07 First version
2009/06/26 Patched for menu function and fixed icewm_initmenu.
   Reduced dependencies.
Current: 2009/11/08 Rebuilt with themes menu included.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 05:39:11 PM »
Thank you Jason for such a quick fix. Menus are there now, under Settings, however most of them do not seem to make any difference whatsoever. In other words all of them appear to be exactly the same except a color and font change on Infadel2. In a word it appears that only Infadel2 theme is working.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
Are you using backup/restore, or persistent home? Delete /home/tc/.icewm and restart X.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 05:44:40 AM »
No, so far for this I was just booting from LiveCD. I have not got around to make a new usb yet:
1. Booted LiveCd
2. Installed IceWM
3. Logged off from desktop to prompt
3. Startx
4. Desktop comes up with IceWM

Now at this point IceWM themes can be selected from settings, but only one theme changes the look and feel of WM. All other selections do not seem to do anything. One or two changed the color of the clock display slightly, that's all.
This same behavior is regardless whether I used Xvesa or Xorg...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 06:06:04 AM »
Ok, I will check tonight though a "base norestore" boot and loading the extension with the appbrowser worked here.

If another mirror is being used, it may not have caught up to ibiblio yet

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 06:26:53 AM »
Still sounds like a permissions issue.

What is the owner and perm of /home/tc/.icewm?

Offline tclfan

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 07:08:33 AM »
Jason, if your question is directed to me, I cannot check now, being at work. But in any case, I am using stock TC LiveCD 2.5, so the owner was not changed from the original...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 07:43:22 AM »
Ok, when you get home boot the cd with "base norestore" and load icewm from the repo and see if the owner of /home/tc/.icewm is tc:staff.  

Offline tclfan

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 07:55:49 AM »
Will do. However, I am trying to understand the purpose of my booting with base norestore options.  I am booting just a plain and fresh LiveCD and with no \tce anywhere. In other words, I have been testing in pure cloud mode - no pre-defined \tce, no saved \home or anything that could potentially affect testing. Therefore the environment is pristine, the way it comes with fresh TC + freshly installed IceWM from repository...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 08:15:20 AM »
Ok, I will double check the extension to make sure the changes were put in.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 06:46:44 PM »
Booting with "base norestore" and fetching the icewm extension from the repo works fine here as far as the themes go. If you are sure you are not restoring a backup, then the mirror must not have caught up yet.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 07:55:41 AM »
Very strange... Must be my machine then... I will try other computers...
Just to make sure I was clear, clicking on 'IceWM' corner get me a menu, where the last item is "Settings" with submenu 'Focus' and 'Themes'. Clicking on 'Themes' gets me a list of themes. when I click on any, basically nothing changes, except when I click on 'Infadel2', I get a different theme. This is with LiveCd and freshly loaded IceWM.
I will test with other computers. It is working for you so I assume this problem might be specific to my computer then...

Offline sci_fi

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 08:37:30 AM »
Hi,

I am experimenting with icewm themes as well. Similar results to those reported. The tcz module seems to work fine but the themes included with the TC icewm package are generally very similar. However, you can download many themes from
http://www.box-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=7311

Unpack and copy into /usr/local/share/icewm/themes (I think  this is the correct path). They will then show up in the icewm theme menus. You can also modify them as you see fit. Save/restore with filetoolist. The IceClearlooks2 theme is one of the easier ones to modify. There is also an icewm config file you may wish to modify and copy to /home/tc.

Icewm is working well for me, although I intend to try lxde when available.

Best regards,

sci_fi

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 10:49:33 AM »
I had only the infadel2 theme change anything when there were root:root ownership of /home/tc/.icewm.  Changing that ownership to tc:staff is a workaround. 

The extension on the main ibiblio server is the current working one, I am not sure how fast other mirrors are synced.