Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

64 bit

<< < (2/3) > >>

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: Juanito on November 11, 2009, 01:13:30 AM ---In fact I'm halfway through a very unofficial version of this, but stopped, due in part to the fact that the new slim ps3 no longer supports linux.

--- End quote ---

I have to check which version is here (used by my son :) )

bmarkus:
Ahh, the slim version is a new toy. As our one was purchased in May for sure it is LINUX compatrible. Will try YellewDog, it was already planned...

althalus:

--- Quote from: Juanito on November 11, 2009, 01:03:13 AM ---I thought 32-bit machines could handle up to 4gb ram - maybe you have >4gb?

Wouldn't you need 64-bit applications in addition to a 64-bit kernel to take advantage of >4gb ram?

I've compiled a multi-lib build - 64-bit kernel and 32/64-bit apps - on a ps3, the difficult part was to prevent the compiler from makeing 64-bit apps, so I have a feeling that if you compile the tinycore source on a 64-bit machine, it would automatically compile a 64-bit kernel.

You can look at http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/x86_64-64/ for pointers

--- End quote ---
Definately 4gb, and definately only showing up as 3gb.

Hmm... but really..? That simple? just compile the source on a 64bit machine? I assume the build environment would have to be 64bit at least. Will take a look at the CLFS stuff later. I'll be surprised and impressed if it's that simple.

Juanito:
I use ydl from time to time, but it's way too bloated for a ps3 - hence compiling the cblfs multi-lib...

spence91:

--- Quote from: althalus on November 11, 2009, 01:36:10 AM ---
Definately 4gb, and definately only showing up as 3gb.

--- End quote ---

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2%5E32+bytes
2^32 = 4.29GB or 34.36Gb

There might be some confusion on how the memory capacity is measured or how the system shows the memory. But a 32 bit machine can reference 4G of memory for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version