WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: restore doesn't remember all wbar settings  (Read 9823 times)

Offline trinity

restore doesn't remember all wbar settings
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »
New to TC and have just downloaded TC v2.5 today.

Not all the apps I have installed made an entry in wbar (eg transmission.tcz) so I added the appropriate icon,title, cmd lines to /usr/local/tce.wbar

After right-clicking in the wbar it loaded the transmission icon and I could launch the app with it. Great.

My grub stanza has the lines:

title Tiny Core 25
root=(hd1,7)
linux   /boot/bzImage   tce=hdb8 restore=hdb8 home=hdb8
initrd   /boot/tinycore.gz

However after a reboot the transmission icon does not show and I need to do a manual restore from the Control Panel.

Questions:
1. how can I set this up so that my system restores all the wbar info after a reboot?

2. is it common that apps don't automatically install into the tce.wbar file?

Thank you

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: restore doesn't remember all wbar settings
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:45:58 PM »
Only items with /usr/local/share/tce.icons entries end up on wbar.

To make my own permanent entries, I edited dot.wbar (don't recall right now where that is) and added this file to my filelist for backup and restore. dot.wbar contains the default starting list for wbar (terminal, cpanel and appbrowser).

I found wbar very hard to master because the various files are scattered all over the file system.

Offline trinity

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
Hi jur,
You say "Only items with /usr/local/share/tce.icons end up on wbar" but that can't be right as from what I said above I have had success with items in wbar added manually to /usr/local/tce.wbar   It is where the bulk of all wbar itmes are located. By the way I did add "usr/local/tce.wbar" to the file /opt/.filetool.lst for restore.

(Also there isn't a /usr/local/share/tce.icons file in my version. I guess you meant  /usr/local/tce.icons)

Perhaps you are saying that only those items in tce.icons can be restored?? In which case what I've read about restore before is wrong?

I do agree that wbar is not the easiest app to master and tweaking it does seem to vary between distros.

Anyone any ideas how I can get this working.
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:45:41 PM by trinity »

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 06:35:43 PM »
/usr/local/tce.wbar gets written afresh at each boot and gets appended to at each adding of new app (this is my own guess of what is happening). So it doesn't work to mod that file (I know because my first attempts were also at editing and backing up that file). Editing dot.wbar worked.

If you can follow scripting language (i can't, yet  :P ) you can take a peek at tce-load, desktop.sh and wbar.sh.

To see more options for wbar, type wbar -h. Made all the difference for me once I knew the options.

I am guessing the boot order is something like
load apps -> restore files -> generate tce.wbar -> load wbar.
So the restored tce.wbar gets overwritten.

I meant earlier that only items with tce.icons entries in their extension folders end up on wbar. You can see this by looking at an example extension's /tmp/tcloop/ stuff and you'll see the tce.icons folder there. Once an extension is mounted, the folders are merged and a new tce.wbar file generated from the merged tce.icons folder.

Disclaimer: All of this is spoken in much ignorance. I am a noob of just a few months.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:52:18 PM by jur »

Offline gwalther

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 09:22:09 PM »
Here is how I did it:...(works best after all the extensions you think you want
are installed/mounted)

copy ....tce.wbar... from .../usr/local/...to /home/tc/

edit  the copied tce.wbar in .../home/tc/....changing or adding what you want, then

edit .... /usr/bin/wbar.sh.....in  the second last line that begins with... wbar ...
change  the pointer to the config file....from .../usr/local/tce.wbar...to (the new one
you edited)..../home/tc/tce.wbar...save file and .try out your changes by restarting wbar

finally ..add.... /usr/bin/wbar.sh ...to your backup .../opt/.filetool.lst
(this assumes you already backup /home/tc/...if not add .. /home/tc/tce.wbar...to backup

the drawback of this method is that if you  install/mount a new extension ....the icon for the new extension ( if there is one)  will not show up until you ...recopy  tce.wbar from /usr/local/
to /home/tc/ ...and edit it once again

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:46:22 AM »
the drawback of this method is that if you  install/mount a new extension ....the icon for the new extension ( if there is one)  will not show up until you ...recopy  tce.wbar from /usr/local/
to /home/tc/ ...and edit it once again
Yep, which is why I prefer my method of editing dot.wbar - completely transparent to additional extension installations.

Offline trinity

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:09:30 AM »
jur and jwalter,
Thank you both for your helpful and informative posts.
I now have wbar set up to restore a full set of apps after every reboot.

I chose the jur method as I don't want to have to tweak anything each time I add a new extension.
However it doesn't allow me to position every icon where I want them as the ones in dot.wbar must preceed the others in tce.wbar  But it's much better than nothing.  :)
(by the way dot.wbar is at /usr/share/wbar/dot.wbar)

I guess the ideal solution would be to add files to the /usr/local/tce.icons folder. I'll  give that a try.

Now ...if only I could find a search app then I'd be able to find my way around here.

Thanks for your help guys.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:32:26 AM »
... it doesn't allow me to position every icon where I want them as the ones in dot.wbar must preceed the others in tce.wbar  ...
That's right, and the ones following are arranged alphabetically, at least if they are loaded at boot time or something. So one has very little control over where things end up.

Offline trinity

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:36:28 AM »
I guess the ideal solution would be to add files to the /usr/local/tce.icons folder. I'll  give that a try.

Well I tried that but after a reboot my added entry was lost so I guess it's a similar story that restore points get wiped out when the wbar/menu is re-generated.

So one has very little control over where things end up. 
In fact almost none. I just remembered that in crunchbang linux I made my wbar by home/user_name/.wbar and I could arrange the order anyway I wished. May try that later.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised it's designed this way. It wouldn't matter if all extensions were made to have a tce-icon entry but several don't seem to be.
eg transmission, asunder, gqview2, Xpdf....

Oh well.
Thanks for the help.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:51:29 AM by trinity »

Offline combo3

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 07:32:43 AM »
How about this (not tested):

Create an icon directory - mkdir /home/tc/my.icons
Copy the icons to your directory
Create a file - my.wbar and add it to home/tc

Format:

i: /usr/local/tce.icons/app_name.png
t: App_name
c: exec /usr/local/bin/app_name

Create a script and add it to bootlocal.sh

#!/bin/sh
cp "/home/tc/my.icons/*" /usr/local/tce.icons
cat /home/tc/my.wbar >> /usr/local/tce.wbar
wbar.sh

Caveat: running this after boot will result in duplicate icons.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 08:04:14 AM by combo3 »

Offline trinity

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 08:42:34 AM »
combo3:
Thanks for your helpful sugestion.

I tried it but it neither resulted in duplicate icons nor did it add an icon I prepared your way. I may be wrong but I don't see how it would fix the issue of not being able to sort the icons the way I want to.
Thanks anyway.

Surely as wbar is "standard" with TC I can't be the first person to want to do this?? Surprised it doesn't work OOTB.

Offline gwalther

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 08:48:34 AM »
See my method above

You can edit  order...change exec command..(ie..sudo emelfm...rather then emelfm)...or add your own icons

If and when you mount/install new  app just manually add it to /home/tc/tce.wbar
and restart wbar

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 10:33:45 AM »
wbar does not remember icons because Tiny Core's default mode is to run with applications extensions that are dynamically loaded upon boot.

It is up to the extension maker to decide whether an application is of general use to include an icon or not. Since wbar is limited in size, it is prudent to make this decision wisely.

If icons are your thing, then perhaps using rox-filer or xfce which give up more icon choices.

But adding an icon to an exiting icon-less application extension is easy.

1. You need to grab the squashfs-tools extension.
2. unsquashfs -d appname appname.tcz

3. now relative to the appname directory make the directory structure:
  cd appname/
  mkdir -p usr/local/tce.icons/
  chown root.staff usr/local/tce.icons
  chmod g+w usr/local/tce.icons

4. Next using a text editor, edit/create the file to specify the wbar icon specifics, e.g.
   usr/local/tce.icons/appname

enter the three lines as required by wbar:

i: /usr/local/tce.icons/appname.png
   t: appname
   c: appname

5. next remove the old extension.
   cd ..
   rm appname.tcz

6. mksquashfs appname/ appname.tcz
7. copy your new extension to your tce directory.

Of course, you can choose to ignore this, and hack your system, mixing static and dynamic content. But be aware, should you decide to remove an application your hacked icons will persist unless also hacked away too.

Edited to correct unsquashfs statement above.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:43:13 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline gwalther

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »
Tried your procedure ...but got stuck

line 2...assume you meant unsquashfs...not unsquash

with unsquashfs ...got this message

can't find a squashfs superblock on emelfm.tcz

do I have an old version perhaps of emelfm.tcz??

Offline maro

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »
@gwalther:

You could try the command file emelfm.tcz to get "a second opinion" about the file type (which requires file.tczl).

I'm getting as result
emelfm.tcz: setgid Squashfs filesystem, little endian, version 4.0, 22694143 bytes, 25 inodes, blocksize: 0 bytes, created: Tue Sep 22 20:11:44 1970

Ignoring for now the obviously wrong information about size and date, it at least gives you a chance to find out more about your emelfm.tcz.

BTW, the timestamp of this file on my local mirror is: 2009-10-26 08:28:09 UTC