Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

flwm: logout calls /usr/bin/exittc even I have /usr/local/bin/exittc

<< < (2/4) > >>

jpeters:
just tried /usr/local/bin/testit , /usr/bin/testit in flwm and /usr/local/bin overrides.  $PATH has /usr/local first?

Edit: same with /usr/local/bin/exittc, /usr/bin/exittc; /usr/local overrides

Make sure your  permissions are set correctly. 

roberts:
I think what jls is writing about is:
Menu.C:    execl("/usr/bin/exittc","exittc");
In flwm source.

I typically use full paths so as to avoid needless searching, especially when a Core system is loaded up the command that I want will be last in the search path.

Couldn't a startup script achieve overwriting of those core elements that have a translation?

jls:
the philosophy behind linux and windows says that we have a search path, and u cannot go against this.
We don't use logout every 5 minutes.
I've tried do override the original programs in /usr/bin with the translated ones, using the startup script, but I failed. I tried mv cp and rsync but nothing, maybe someone could help me.

[^thehatsrule^: spam removed: sorry, it is]

mikshaw:
I'm in agreement with jls
Not only does it help with translations (I know nothing about them; just going by what I've read here), but it is common practice to have executables in /usr/bin be overridden by same filename in /usr/local/bin.  This gives the admin greater freedom to add and replace commands without disturbing the base system.

As far as I can tell, full paths to executables are typically used only by root (such as during init, before PATH is set), and user commands typically rely on PATH to allow the user to override system commands without needing root permission (such as replacing commands by adding them to a bin directory in $HOME or by using aliases).

roberts:
What you both fail to acknowledge is that user commands are typically at the end of the search path.
It is a trivial change and I will do so to accomodate the language translation that jls has been providing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version