WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: cups, samba printing  (Read 16914 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: cups, samba printing
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 01:44:55 AM »
Code: [Select]
Print Test
unsupported format 'application/vnd.cups-banner'!
I saw that once or twice and stopping/restarting cups made it go away.

With hplip, you may need to link /usr/local/etc/hp -> /etc/hp - it appears hplip doesn't like /usr/local.

Can you confirm you're using a usb printer?

How do you start/stop...there's no /etc/init.d/cups ? (they're listed as "cancelled" on cups....no controls)
The printer is usb connected to a windows desktop. I'm using samba.  
I tried the link, no change.  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:54:42 AM by jpeters »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »
/usr/local/etc/init.d/cups stop|start|status - which is admittedly not in the info file, but is in the start-up script.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:36 PM »
/usr/local/etc/init.d/cups stop|start|status - which is admittedly not in the info file, but is in the start-up script.

I could swear that file was NOT there when I checked last night. I even did searches. Anyway, it's all working now.  Now to see if the configuration saves. Nothing worked last night.   

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:06 PM »
Good news - working with cups (usb backend) or working with cups+hplip (hp backend)?

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »
Good news - working with cups (usb backend) or working with cups+hplip (hp backend)?

cups+hplip+hpijs_hpoj

edit: Removed hpijs_hpoj --not needed

It's even saving setup between boots now. If I've got it right, we keep hplip loaded after installing the driver....looks like a bunch of support files instead of drivers like previously.  BTW/ thanks for all the work putting this together (cups, hplip, samba, hpijs, dbus, etc, etc   ........formidable. )
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:26:49 PM by jpeters »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 12:04:32 AM »
As you've probably figured out, hpoj was the predecessor of hplip, so you if you have an all-in-one printer, you need either one or the other, but not both. If you have a standard printer, you can use either cups alone or cups+hplip.

You're right, even after loading the driver you need to keep the hplip extension loaded because the driver uses the hplip hp backend instead of the cups usb backend.

There are a few benefits with hplip (even if they don't add up to 5MB) like hp-levels, hp-align, etc.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 04:17:40 AM »
The CUPS backend file /usr/local/lib/cups/backend/smb should be a symlink, typically to
/usr/local/bin/smbspool.

Thanks -this did indeed get lost in  the last cups update, I'll fix it shortly

Strictly speaking, I'm not sure whether it belongs in the cups or the samba extension..

Offline perthie

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 06:21:23 AM »
/usr/local/etc/init.d/cups stop|start|status

A standard CUPS install uses the existing folder /etc/init.d for the cups startup script (see the current CUPS 1.3.8 ). When I compile CUPS, I have to use --sysconfdir=/etc to get this path correct.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 06:54:56 AM »
I've been trying, as far as is possible, to move extensions fully to /usr/local to make them "PPI compliant" (see wiki for definition).

There are several issues surrounding the new cups extension that I'll try to look into this weekend. One possibility I'm thinking about is to create a cups-1.3 extension if the cups extension using 1.4.1 continues to cause problems for some users.

Offline perthie

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 07:12:21 AM »
One possibility I'm thinking about is to create a cups-1.3 extension if the cups extension using 1.4.1 continues to cause problems for some users.

Excellent idea. I have already packaged one based on the current CUPS 1.3.8. It's been tested with a variety of printers, connection methods and driver packages, and looks stable.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 09:55:18 AM »
/usr/local/etc/init.d/cups stop|start|status

A standard CUPS install uses the existing folder /etc/init.d for the cups startup script (see the current CUPS 1.3.8 ). When I compile CUPS, I have to use --sysconfdir=/etc to get this path correct.

Note...although the scheduler starts automatically during bootup (as seen on screen), it needs to be restarted after X loads, or you'll get a broken pipe error.  Also, it needs to be run with "sudo" (eg. "sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/cups start").  I added to bootlocal.sh ( don't need "sudo" , everything runs root ).

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 10:08:41 PM »
Note...although the scheduler starts automatically during bootup (as seen on screen), it needs to be restarted after X loads, or you'll get a broken pipe error.
..interesting, I wonder why that is? Where do you see the broken pipe error?

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 01:34:24 PM »
Note...although the scheduler starts automatically during bootup (as seen on screen), it needs to be restarted after X loads, or you'll get a broken pipe error.
..interesting, I wonder why that is? Where do you see the broken pipe error?

Broken pipe error occurred printing from geany. From commandline there's no error message, just won't print.