WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Easy to Install Version  (Read 23843 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Easy to Install Version
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2010, 08:18:08 PM »
i remember wishing i had a gui file manager at least a couple of times. 

emelfm - and gtkfind is also very useful

Offline ejames82

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 09:56:13 AM »
with Xfe file manager, emelfm - and gtkfind, maybe a decision couldn't be made which one to choose.  do any of these file managers have a unique feature that the others don't?
are they all listed in the appbrowser list? 

backup...backup...backup

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »
emelfm and gtkfind are very small and only need gtk1, I imagine the xfe file manager will need the whole xfe thing to be installed, but I could be wrong.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 08:04:21 AM »
We might be drifting a bit from the original topic but FWIW, I like emelfm2 because it allows me to add my own tool buttons for custom commands - like 'open this file in my favorite text editor' or 'just delete this right now, recursively, as root, without asking if I really want to!'.

I haven't really surveyed the other file managers - some or all of the others may also be customizable.

By the way, is there a good tool for recovering accidentally deleted files?   ;D
(just kidding)
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »
I haven't really surveyed the other file managers - some or all of the others may also be customizable.
ROX-filer certainly is...  :)
By the way, is there a good tool for recovering accidentally deleted files?   ;D
(just kidding)
That would highly depend on file system (I kid you not  :P)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 12:13:17 PM »
NTFS wouldn't work without some monkey magic.
Well, the monkey magic is here. I took some time to hack together a remaster script that does the following steps:
- download all necessary files: kernel, initramfs and tczs (if they are already downloaded they are checked with md5sum if an update is required)
- patch the initramfs to include and fully support ntfs-3g
- put original initramfs, the patched one and together some other useful tczs on an ISO image

The bootloader on the CD is GRUB4DOS, because it can be copied from the CD to a harddrive and still just works, no /usr/lib/grub needed. The whole intention was to have an ISO from that I can setup a Tiny Core Linux system without the need for internet access.

[^thehatsrule^: removed, remaster]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:56:27 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline athouston

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 12:21:45 AM »
My 2 cents for whatever its worth, I like the current install method.

I come from a HEAVY "other proprietary OS" background and this method has helped me learn a lot. There could be perhaps some explanation in the opening installation guide of mounting drives and the difference between /dev/hda and /mnt/hda (for examples only) because this concept is a bit different to "mapping drives" and it would have made things clearer. Perhaps also some explanation of the role of grub. Once I got my head around those philosophies it all started to come together.

This is not a criticism of TC - this is the same for all Linux's.

The opportunity to then add on bits and pieces and learn how each worked has been fun and worthwhile.

I can't think how you would make it easier without creating a complete boot-to-install-script version.

Thanks.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 12:57:29 AM »
It's actually mounting filesystems, rather than drives, to be accurate.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline PIRAT507

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
>>a gui file manager at least a couple of times . . >>

My favourite remains midnight commander, mc. Small (I've got a version below 400kB)
and available in TinyCore already.