WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Working Opera available?  (Read 3644 times)

Offline fladd

Working Opera available?
« on: August 24, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »
Hi there,
I was just wondering if there is an Opera extension available that does not just close after 20sec of usage?

Regards,
fladd

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: Working Opera available?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »
Most likely your system is running out of memory.

If this is happening, there may be from benefit in increasing/enabling swap, or from tweaking settings such as the cache size/location.

As for another extension, using an another/older version may have a reduced memory footprint.  I think there is only 1 extension available right now for the 9.x series.

Offline thane

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 05:14:38 PM »
FWIW, I set all the Opera cacheing to zero, have it clear all the history on exit, etc. I've run it for several hours at a time  (512 M, no swap file) without it blowing.

On the other hand, large downloads will freeze the box unless you direct them to disk or USB. The default download area is in memory and I got stuck a couple of times.

edit: I use the tcz Opera extension.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:37:37 PM by thane »

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »
Had Opera freeze up while watching a long (~ 60 min.) YouTube video. "free" indicated that almost all of the memory was in use (507 M out of 512).

Any tweeks or workarounds for this? Thanks.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 01:34:20 PM »
- don't use Youtube
- make the video go to HD instead of ram, either download or set Opera cache to a HD (maybe Flash uses different cache settings? not sure)
- get more ram

There's no magic solution on fitting a bigger-than-ram file to ram, uncompressed..
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline thane

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 02:44:25 PM »
Thanks, curaga.

I sort of figured the answers were along those lines. For most things I'd want the cacheing to be in memory (in fact, my Opera caches are set to zero) and 512M is adequate, but long videos are the exception. From what I've seen downloads are a dying option. The other month one of my favorite sites stopped offering downloadable video and switched to YouTube as their video content provider, a trend I expect will continue.

No big deal. One of these days I'll get a box with more memory anyway.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 01:06:05 AM »
Forgot to say swap will help; do you have a swap partition available?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jls

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 02:03:15 AM »
u can easyly download youtube videos using this site:
http://keepvid.com/

[^thehatsrule^: removed spam]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:42:48 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 03:15:04 AM »
It would seem that limiting cache size would limit the amount of RAM used.  I can watch youtube for a long time with Shiretoko and the .mozilla directory never grows beyond 25MB.  It just simply only buffers a small amount of video at a time.  But I guess Opera behaves differently.

Offline thane

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 11:35:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not using a swap file -- running a fairly minimal set of apps with 512M and didn't think I needed one. Maybe I do!

I'll check out keepvid.

I rechecked my Opera settings and found out the default download folder was tc/home [sp?], which may have been a factor since I thought I had changed it to my USB device. Haven't tried Shiretoko. I've stayed away from that family of browsers since they seemed to have large storage requirements (databases of visited pages etc.). If that's not an issue with Shiretoko I may try it.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »
Shiretoko was built with the urlclassifier disabled (it is what is responsible for that ever growing database file) and the cache set to 20MB default.  The .mozilla directory never grows beyond 25MB as a result, even after an hour of youtube.  I see now that the cache is set to 50MB, I can set it back to 20 default with a simple edit of a file.  Shiretoko should be very friendly for systems without a mounted /home.

I would think that Opera would be the same with a small maximum cache size though.