WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: python-testing  (Read 14793 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: python-testing
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 09:36:11 AM »
I even sent a confirmation that I had uploaded them, but I could have been interrupted in the process of handling them.  They are there now.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
zenmap and wicd both need the older python and pygtk stack.  As far as I know those two extensions are the only ones left that will be affected by python update.  I will wait until tomorrow for any discussion related to these two extensions.  I was pondering the idea of renaming the current pygtk type stuff to pygtk-2.5.2 to allow use of the current python 2.5.2 apps, but that would make it confusing and break extensions if any current pygtk type of apps are installed along side the older ones.  We have to cleanly move forward, but I would be happy to wait a little longer for zenmap and wicd to be updated before the new python is copied over.  We will have python-2.5.2 available, but pygtk apps have to be built against the new python.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 08:13:20 PM »
I'll look at zenmap in the next day or two.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 06:21:28 AM »
pygobject needs libffi in its dep file
and pygobject-dev will need libffi-devs

Hmm - I didn't read this before re-compiling zenmap and sure enough (even though it didn't require libffi to compile) it would not run due a lack of libffi.

pygobject did not used to have libffi as a dep, is this a new requirement of an updated version or was it disabled with a configure switch before?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2009, 12:00:18 AM »
zenmap uploaded

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 03:29:14 AM »
Thanks.  I also uploaded python-2.5.2, will announce soon.

Libffi is not listed as a dep for Arch or Gentoo, I will recompile soon without libffi installed.

Last call for wicd.  There is no way to preserve it in it's present form as only one version of pygtk can be installed at one time - but please let me know if I am wrong.  I will start moving the python stuff to the repo very soon.

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 09:45:07 AM »
I made a little script to download all the deps from the repo and check them for current python dependency.
Here is the full list:
Code: [Select]
SQLAlchemy.tcz
bitbake.tczl
dbus_python.tczl
dictclient.tcz
gramps-locale.tcz
gramps.tcz
hplip.tczl
libglade-devs.tcz
mercurial-1.2.1.tczl
nicotine.tcz
pil.tczl
psyco.tczl
pycairo.tczl
pygobject.tczl
pygtk.tczl
pyqt.tczl
pysqlite2.tcz
pysqlite2.tczl
python-devs.tczl
recordmydesktop-gtk.tczl
sip.tczl
treeline.tczl
wicd.tcz
wifi-radar.tcz
zenmap.tczl

Checking against the contents of the python-update folder, it looks like we have almost all of them recompiled against python-2.6.2.  This is great work everyone. The extensions not yet recompiled are:
Code: [Select]
hplip.tczl
libglade-devs.tcz
mercurial-1.2.1.tczl
nicotine.tcz
pil.tczl
wicd.tcz
wifi-radar.tcz
nicotine and and wicd (as Jason already mentioned) are the only 2 left with a pygtk dependency.

Question:  Do we intend to keep the python-2.5 dependent extensions in the repo as well? and if so, has there been a decision on a naming scheme?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 10:03:07 AM »
WICD 1.6.2.1 INSTALL file says at the beginning:

Installation of Wicd should be done using your distribution package if one
exists.  If not, the installation is relatively straightforward, but there
are a few dependencies:
  1. python (>=2.4, <3.0)
  2. pygtk (>=2.10)
  2. dbus and its glib and python bindings
  3. a dhcp client (dhclient, dhcpcd, and pump are supported)
  4. wireless-tools (iwlist, iwconfig, etcetera)
  5. net-tools (ip, route, etcetera)
  6. a graphical sudo application (gksu, kdesu, and ktsuss are supported),
     while optional, is strongly recommended
  7. urwid (if you want to use the curses client - needs version >=0.9.8.3)
  8. pm-utils (optional for suspend/resume integration)
     Wicd supports using versions >=1.2.4 -- earlier versions may work just
     fine, but they are completely unsupported here.

This WICD version was released on August 27. I did not try to compile it with Python 2.6.2 but it must be OK.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:05:43 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 10:44:50 AM »
Python 2.5 is now in the repo as python-2.5.2, built with ssl, tk, and sqlite support.  The .dep files for most python dependent packages can be changed to reflect python-2.5.2.  I will make that change in the dep files maybe tonite.

Nicotine and Wicd are JLS's extensions, I am waiting for him to have a chance for input in rebuilding those packages.  I will send him a pm.

Thanks to everyone's quick action, this python upgrade is happening quick and looks like it will be smooth.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »
Everything is set to go.  I will be rebuilding nicotine and wicd, but first I will adjust the dep files of the extensions that depend on python (that were not recompiled with the new version) so they will use python-2.5.2.  Then I will replace python with the new version, and copy over the rebuilt apps.  Hopefully all will go smoothly without any breakage of the repo.

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 10:38:19 AM »
Good luck with this Jason and thanks for the work.  Will you also be adjusting the info files to show the new python extension names? I assume the 2.6 will also get a name change dropping the "-testing".  If it would be easier for us to submit updated extensions with infos and deps fixed, I would be more than happy to recompile mine.  Just offering.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 10:55:47 AM »
I have split 2.6.2 into the python/python-dev/python-minimal extensions and they will be the standard python.  The dep files of the extensions not built against the new python will simply have their dep files updated to show python-2.5.2.  I will adjust the dep and info files of the extension that were built against python-2.6.2-testing.

The extensions that use the old python can be updated to use 2.6.2 at any time, but it is not necessary.  Hopefully I can do all of this tonight except for rebuilding wicd and nicotine.  I will just have to pull them temporarily and upload them when I can rebuild and test them. 

Don't worry about resending anything, I will adjust the dep and info files to reflect the correct python name.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 05:14:19 PM »
Wifi-radar is one more pygtk app that would need rebuilding.

But I see now that two versions of dbus_python can be installed at one time as it installs into site-packages, so hplip is preserved along with dbus_python-2.5.2.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 06:11:52 PM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
All finished but for nicotine and wicd.  Bitbake does not want to work as I tested, but all the others built against new python seem to work ok. I will leave nicotine and wicd up for now so they could be used as an example for a rebuilt version.  I will get to it when I can, but anyone is of course welcome to rebuild and submit them in the mean time.

Thanks again for everyone's effort in this.

Offline robc

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2009, 09:21:37 PM »
I'll fix bitbake, it may take a few days for me to get around to it
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard