WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Booting TCL on HPE proliant gen 10+  (Read 633 times)

Offline jumble4106

Booting TCL on HPE proliant gen 10+
« on: November 22, 2023, 02:10:59 AM »
Hi everyone

I'm trying to boot TCL on HPE server hardware, I'm using 64 bit image and it boots successfuly in Virtual Box, but I'm having troubles getting it to boot on server. Any suggestions why or how to even start troubleshooting this?
I will mount the iso via iLO but if I try to boot from it, I just get back to boot drive selection menu.

Offline CNK

Re: Booting TCL on HPE proliant gen 10+
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 01:54:57 PM »
I will mount the iso via iLO but if I try to boot from it, I just get back to boot drive selection menu.

It sounds a lot like an issue with UEFI-booting. I couldn't get a Dell Poweredge server to boot TC in UEFI mode either, however that was with a USB-writable ISO that I'd made myself (including the UEFI stuff, which did work on other computers).

If you've got an option to enable legacy booting (or whatever they've decided to call it) instead of UEFI, then switch to that. It worked for the Dell.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 10:18:00 PM »
Is this a rack model or desktop?  (Model number / generation and similar specs would be helpful.)
Most Proliant machines enter BIOS through either F10 or F11 being hit constantly once you hear the initial "beep."

Plug in your USB boot stick, power up and go into BIOS.  This takes a minute; be patient!
"Advanced" tab should give you some insight as to whether or not the machine is in SATA/IDE, AHCI or RAID mode.
"Boot" tab should show you whether or not UEFI is being enforced, what the boot priorities are (you'll want to set this to your USB stick), and depending on the model's age, whether or not UE can be enabled/disabled.  If so, DISABLE UEFI by setting everything here to LEGACY or LEGACY ONLY modes, if the boot menu is showing as "Advanced Boot Menu" hit that and see if it's replaced with "Normal Boot Menu" and be sure NETWORK and OPTICAL boot options are removed for now (highlight the item and press "x") leaving just USB and HARD DRIVE on the list.  You should also have a menu "Drive Order" where you can set the priorities of your devices.  Your boot stick has to be plugged in prior to going into BIOS otherwise it will not be listed or even be an option.

* Leave room for discrepancies - this is all by faded memory as my two Proliant rack servers are either in the warehouse or basement awaiting their walk on the Green Mile.

If you're trying to install Linux on the machine because it failed when trying to install Windows, please note this as well.
  If it's a desktop model, REMOVE the plug-in RAID controller before you do anything.
  If it's a rack model... it's a "set" of challenges, thus why a model number would be prudent.

Good luck!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline gadget42

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 01:51:34 AM »
Your boot stick has to be plugged in prior to going into BIOS otherwise it will not be listed or even be an option.
yes, this has been the case on quite a few machines(of all types) over the years.
also make sure the boot media is known-good-and-works(on more than one other machine preferrably).
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580