WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: compile x86 kernel module on TC32 running a 64 bit kernel  (Read 567 times)

aus9

compile x86 kernel module on TC32 running a 64 bit kernel
« on: September 21, 2023, 02:13:40 AM »
Hi

I just made my first attempt to setup my kernel source environment booting a 32 bit kernel on a 32 bit TC
and in running make modules I saw an error of ran out of space on device.
free command shows most of swap used......and in a previous post with Rich, he identified that one of my issues,
my AMD APU which needs shared memory.....and the balance under the 32 bit Ram rule.....I was not getting access to enough memory addresses.
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,26354.0.html

So for normal TC32 TCE builds I ----now -- run a 64 bit kernel on the 32 bit TC.

2) Trying to compile 32 bit modules I chose to boot into the 32 bit kernel on 14.x and hit the above error.

3) I am aware I "might" be able to cross compile on 64 bit which would use most of  my 8G memory (except that I give to graphics)

4) I was wondering ...
Can I boot into 64 bit kernel on TC32 with an unpacked 32 bit kernel source and then try
kernel prep and module build etc?

In case you wonder why I am not trying this without asking.....I just spent 2 hours on (2) and would prefer not to waste any more of my time
arrogant I accept but trying to be smarter.

thanks for reading
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 02:16:24 AM by aus9 »

Online Rich

• Administrator
Re: compile x86 kernel module on TC32 running a 64 bit kernel
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 05:28:54 AM »
Hi aus9
... 4) I was wondering ...
Can I boot into 64 bit kernel on TC32 with an unpacked 32 bit kernel source and then try
kernel prep and module build etc? ...

This seems to suggest you can:
Oh, you can use a 64-bit kernel for that still :)

"linux32 bash" will start a bash shell that claims to be 32-bit in uname -m. This is useful for some configure scripts that check for it.