WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: More remastering questions  (Read 2143 times)

Offline linus72

• Damn it Jim!
More remastering questions
« on: August 06, 2009, 01:54:20 PM »
OK
couple questions

1) do I use tce's or tcz's in a remastered tinycore.gz?

2) How to add to remaster?

3) pro's and con's of such an effort?

4) can I make a remaster from tcz's, and have tinycore.gz mounted as tcz instead of going to ram?

Thanks ;D

Offline robc

Re: More remastering questions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 02:45:36 PM »
1) do I use tce's or tcz's in a remastered tinycore.gz?
You could use either, but using tces would be better if you are putting them inside tinycore.gz and not just in a tce folder in an iso image. The tces would be better because they would not have to be mounted on every boot as the tczs would and there would not be any memory usage difference since the whole tinycore.gz (including the extensions) would be put into RAM.

2) How to add to remaster?
Unpack tinycore.gz into a directory to work in. Issue a command similar to the following: sudo tar zxvf /path/to/extension.tce -C /path/to/remaster/root
Note: you may also need to check the tce.installed folder in the remaster root system for any install scripts, ldconfig and depmod may also need to be used in the remaster root.

3) pro's and con's of such an effort?
The cons are it takes a little longer to setup your remaster exactly how you want it, boot time can increase if extensions are added
The pros are the remaster is exactly what you want, boot time can decrease if parts are taken out, you have a bit more secure environment upon every boot since your base remaster can be on a removable drive or read-only CD, you can put your configuration files in the remaster to the affect of not needing a backup

4) can I make a remaster from tcz's, and have tinycore.gz mounted as tcz instead of going to ram?
Part A: To do a remaster with tcz extensions you would include them in a tce folder within the iso image, otherwise there is no real benefit of having a tcz over a tce.
Part B: This is an interesting idea. Since the squashfs is built into the kernel there could be a speed advantage to using a mounted squashfs over the cpio/gz archive, though this might make your system read-only. Someone else may be better equipped to answer this question then I.
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline linus72

• Damn it Jim!
Re: More remastering questions
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:01:15 PM »
Hey robc
thanks for answering:)

um,
yeah, about the tinycore.gz being mounted as a squashfs system
that's what I was talking about.

I was remastering pmagic, and it can go to ram or stay mounted on pmagic.sqfs

also, pmagic uses a initramfs.cpio.gz, which they renamed to initramfs

it's pretty cool how it works too.

so, if I made a tc remaster of tce's(in tinycore.gz), at boot they would consume alot of ram
yes?

OK, I believe Roberts may have discussed somewhere abount unionfs, aufs, etc
so I don't see it happening...

I was just curious if I could make a tc squashfs, or similar

ROBC
noticed that you contributed the Sword?
you'll probably get a Crown for that you know?
good work
God Bless you ;D