WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: usb-modem  (Read 5461 times)

Offline anli

usb-modem
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »
Is it possible to connect to internet with usb-modem (huawei e220)?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: usb-modem
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:51:18 AM »
Yes. The usb 3G modems are just regular modems, that only do not need a password to login.
You'll need PPP to do the connection though, I don't think there was a PPP extension yet?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline anli

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:32:08 AM »
Can i use isomaster to add ppp?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:58:33 AM »
Uh, no. It's not a good idea to go edit iso filesystems at all, when you have the best tools for creating them available.

If you have a binary that runs on TC, you can remaster it in (see the Wiki); but the best way would be to create an extension and then load that, either from the net, or any other storage media.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:47:59 AM »
Just created a pppd extension; but appears the e220 is an usb-to-serial device, which aren't currently supported in TC. Sorry.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »
the best way would be to create an extension and then load that, either from the net, or any other storage media.

i agree, and that's how i would do it, but i would probably use isomaster to add the extension to the iso. i'm not used to any ability to remaster from a toram boot, but i am accustomed to using isomaster from it. this is not to say it's a good idea. i don't know if it is or not, i assume you would advise against it, but i don't know why. i feel like leaving the compressed bits of tc alone if possible. if i want to remove an extension, at least in theory, i can remove it with isomaster too.

Offline pema

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
@ curaga ; What is needed to implement a usbserial in tc ? Im really interested in getting the e220 3G dongle to work.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 12:25:14 PM »
It would just require compiling the usb-serial module and the "option" module (the one for huawei e220) from the kernel sources. After loading necessary extensions (compiletc, perl_xml, bash) and making a small change (replacing /bin/sh symlink with a symlink to bash), the configure and build should go smooth. Usb-serial support is also scheduled for our next kernel update.

Offline pema

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Ok, nice, when is next realease scheduled ?
Huawei is vendor=0x12d1, e220 is product=0x1003.
I just started understanding the modular build of tcl and tcl packages, it is so brilliant, excellent work, smart, trying to learn now how to compile, this is interesting.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 01:30:28 AM »
It's not soon I'm afraid, as there is a list of things that need to be done (in the corresponding projects) before an update is worthy. Not before 2.6.30 certainly.

I might have time to create an extension for those soon. But no promises.

Offline pema

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:44:46 AM »
@ curaga. Thank you for uploading the usbserial driver allready, that was quick.
Think I did wrong somewhere, I copied the usbserial .tcem to my tce directory, booted computer both with and without usb dongle attached during boots, but can still not see ttyUSBx at /dev or /dev/usb. Tried command "sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003" which in most linux dists found my modem, but no luck. Command "sudo modprobe usbserial" replies module usbserial not found, "sudo insmod usbserial" gives cant read. When file-browsing I can not find usbserial anywhere at usr/local, but I do see my other tce-components installed.
Usually my computer does exactly what Im telling it to do, and that is always a problem, I wish my computer was smarter.
TCL rc8.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 04:06:01 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to reply here. That extension has every other usb-serial driver but the generic and 3G ones - my intention is to get those two to the base, they should appear in rc9. Then we'd have support for most 3G dongles right away, and users would only need to worry about ppp.

Until then you may get those two modules from here:
http://www.ziddu.com/download/3045494/3g-modems.tar.gz.html

Rename to .tcem to use it like an extension.

PS: try the option module first, it has direct support for the e220. Should be better than the generic module.

Offline pema

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 06:31:23 AM »
Is there anyone who got modem(ppp) working with tcl ? During the weekend I have played around alot with the pppd package but no success, I tried copying ppp from both pups and dsl but nothing is working and I suspect pppd package not working properly in tcl. I belive I have the usbserial correct as it seems to respond. Is it possible activating logs and how is it done ?  Please post example of configurations for working ppp connections in tcl.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 08:50:13 AM »
If you don't use the "detach" option at all, pppd will stay in the terminal and print all error messages. Alternatively add "syslog" to your bootcodes to start the log daemon.

For PPP configuration help, see http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Huawei_E220

Offline pema

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 01:56:15 PM »
Played around some but still not successfull, can not find how to detach, is it a tcl command ?
I belive it maybe is permission problem, when just calling my ppp scripts from prompt I get permission denied at ttyUSB0, changed user and group to 777 for ttyUSB0 but still permission denied, confused. Original persmission for ttyUSB0 is sudo/staff.