WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Two easy questions  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Fred

Two easy questions
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:04:03 AM »
I use 19" crt's and want 800x600 resolution, but Xvesa Setup doesn't work for me. After I select the resolution, it will not accept the setting and then exit; it insists on continuing on to the mouse setup.  Although the mouse works just fine by default in installation,  Xvesa Setup just wrecks it with no way to recover except to reboot.

So, I  install the Joe editor, change the resolution in the first line of .xsession, then kill and restart X.

1 - To avoid having to install an editor, is there a simple one included by default in the install?

2 - How to uninstall (delete) programs after they have been installed?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Two easy questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »
1 - To avoid having to install an editor, is there a simple one included by default in the install?

You can use this:
Code: [Select]
$ vi .xsession..but it might be easier to use beaver

Offline Fred

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:24:38 PM »
Thank you Juanito. First question answered.  I installed Leafpad, much simpler than Joe so should be smaller.  I've only got 512 Mb max. 

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »

I guess this depends on how you installed them. The simplest method is to reboot - remember to remove the extension from your /tce directory or it will be loaded again.

There are some tce-uninstall/tcz-uninstall scripts in the scripting section of the forum.

Offline Fred

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:05:41 PM »

I guess this depends on how you installed them. The simplest method is to reboot - remember to remove the extension from your /tce directory or it will be loaded again.

There are some tce-uninstall/tcz-uninstall scripts in the scripting section of the forum.

Actually, I just want to reduce the TC footprint size if possible.  I did see the VI editor and replaced it with Leafpad which I can delete when ready.  I'll edit jwm like I have it on my FreeBSD machine, just a blank screen with only the menu.  those should make it somewhat smaller.   

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Ah - maybe I missed the point.

Do you mean you'd like to reduce the size of microcore.gz/tinycore.gz or that you have a PPI/TCE installation and would like to remove some extensions from /usr/local?

Offline Fred

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »
Ah - maybe I missed the point.

Do you mean you'd like to reduce the size of microcore.gz/tinycore.gz or that you have a PPI/TCE installation and would like to remove some extensions from /usr/local?

I'm typing this with TinyCore running Cloud Mode in a computer I put together with no floppy or hard drive.   After installation, I removed the TC cd and cut power to the drive.  It will run, in ram, either til it crashes or I turn it off.  My goal is to dedicate the machine to only Firefox and Ace Of Penquins, nothing else except enabling a printer and ability to save bookmarks to a usb memory stick.  I would like to remove everything not necessary for this operation including eg AppsBrowser, Tools, Help, etc.  I know that at some point, I'll need to temporarily put in a hard drive to accomplish this.  I just like crazy ideas.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »
Maybe the best thing to do would be to remaster microcore/tinycore (see the wiki for details) - if you edit in ram, the changes will be lost if there's a power cut...