General TC > Programming & Scripting - Unofficial

FLOW: a deplorable web browser in only 19 KB

<< < (2/4) > >>

MikeLockmoore:
Lee: Good point.  I ammended the list of sacrifices.  :D

MikeLockmoore:
I was not supposed to post my .tce here directly (sorry  :-[).  If there is anyone interested in trying it out, please let me know and I will post the source code here.  I do want to give notice that I would like to reserve the name FLOW for any future FLTK-based web browser I help author, even if it does not derive directly from this early rough version.

But I'd like ask for opinions on whether there is any demand for a really lightweight FLTK-native browser (smaller than Dillo).  Dillo is statically linked to the still-in-development 2.0 version of FLTK, so you can use it, but it is duplicating some (much?) of the functionality already available in the shared FLTK libraries (version 1.1.9) that come in the TC base.  So a web browser whose rendering and GUI are written as a FLTK 1.1.x app should be, in principal, much smaller than the 2.x series of Dillo. 

Of course, one guy or very small group of people probably cannot rival the accomplishments of the 10 to 15 people working on Dillo or the much larger teams working on Opera, Firefox, et cetera.  But maybe it would be nice to have a basic FLTK-based browser available in TC that people can use to access the TC website, forums, and wiki.  We could try to make sure that for these TC-specific sites, the native browser works well (maybe better than Dillo, given some comments I've seen elsewhere in the forum).  And it could be somewhat useful for other browsing, but not be a real alternative if you need a full-featured browser.  So, I'd like to hear what you think.
--
Mike L.
--
ML

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: MikeLockmoore on July 21, 2009, 06:16:34 AM ---But maybe it would be nice to have a basic FLTK-based browser available in TC that people can use to access the TC website, forums, and wiki.  We could try to make sure that for these TC-specific sites, the native browser works well (maybe better than Dillo, given some comments I've seen elsewhere in the forum).  And it could be somewhat useful for other browsing, but not be a real alternative if you need a full-featured browser.  So, I'd like to hear what you think.

--- End quote ---

I'm running the same SMF forum like this one. Few month ago I tried Dillo but it was not able to handle the site so I gave it up.

I just tried the latest MIDORI browser on WINDOWS and it is crashing with FLASH content.

While I like small and/or unique solutions and do not like monopoly, I'm sceptic regarding alternative browsers, including GOOGLE CHROME. Sooner or later you have to give up using due to incompatibilty problems. Like a car which starts 80 percent when you want to drive.

Special tools accessing HTML content via the NET is a different stuff.

Of course this is just my personal view.

Regards... Béla

florian:
Hi Mike, it would be nice to try FLOW. Did you publish an extension and/or source somehwere?

MikeLockmoore:
Florian:

I sent you a PM some days ago re: FLOW.
--
ML

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version