Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Corepure64

loading ffmpeg4.tcz at boot causes unresponsive keyboard

<< < (2/2)

Rich:
Hi GNUser
The list of possible suspects I see is:
/usr/local/lib/modules/4.19.10-tinycore64/kernel/drivers/media/rc/ir-mce_kbd-decoder.ko.gz
and anything under:
/usr/local/lib/modules/4.19.10-tinycore64/kernel/drivers/media/rc/keymaps/
listed here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86_64/tcz/v4l-dvb-4.19.10-tinycore64.tcz.list
Of course that's just a guess on my part.

Even though the keyboard is unresponsive you could still capture some data. For example, create the following in .X.d:

--- Code: ---lsmod > ~/lsmod.txt
dmesg > ~/dmesg.txt
cp /var/log/messages ~/messages.txt  # Assuming you use the syslog bootcode.
# Add a  sed  command to edit out the  ffmpeg4.tcz  entry from  onboot.lst.
sync
--- End code ---
and so on. This also presumes a persistent  /home  directory. Then reboot and you can access the results.

GNUser:
@newbies reading this thread: The command in ~/.X.d/  to load the extension just after the initial boot process is, of course, tce-load -i ffmpeg4

@jazzbiker: It doesn't matter where I put ffmpeg4.tcz in onboot.lst (if I put it first or last, either way it bombs my keyboard).

@ Rich: Good idea. I'll capture that and see if there are more specific clues. Will update the thread when I have the goods.

GNUser:
Thank you, Rich. Thanks to your suggestion, I compared the output of lsmod with and without ffmpeg4.tcz in onboot.lst. The only difference is that when ffmpeg4.tcz is in onboot.lst, there are 5 additional kernel modules loaded: uvcvideo and its dependencies (videobuf2_common, videobuf2_memops, videobuf2_v4l2 and videobuf2_malloc).

If I blacklist uvcvideo (via blacklist=uvcvideo boot code), ffmpeg4.tcz can be loaded via onboot.lst and my keyboard works just fine after booting.

Just for comparison, I booted into my Devuan ASCII (Debian Stretch without systemd) partition on this same laptop. Allowing uvcvideo to load at boot does not interfere with the keyboard in Devuan. Strange.

I don't mind blacklisting uvcvideo because it disables the webcam, which is a salubrious side effect. So even though numerous questions remain unanswered, I think we can consider this solved. As always, thank you for your incredibly helpful input :)

[BTW, this whole adventure was just to try to get video playback support in chromium, which remains broken. So we won the ffmpeg4.tcz battle but I'm still losing the war. Please send reinforcements if you can--see the other thread.]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version