Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Corepure64

overeager line wrapping in rxvt

(1/2) > >>

GNUser:
I'm on TC64 10.1 with default shell (BusyBox ash) and rxvt terminal emulator (for Unicode support).

When I use my default larger font, line wrap happens when text gets to edge of window as expected--then again (unexpectedly) once exactly 80 characters are reached. It looks awful and makes it difficult to edit the command.

Decreasing font size causes premature line wrap at 80 characters before edge of window is reached.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

So it seems there are two line wrap algorithms working simultaneously: A well-behaved one that wraps the line when text reaches edge of window, and a dimwitted one that wraps at exactly 80 characters. How do I keep the former and disable the latter? (Most of the information I'm finding pertains to bash shell and/or a more fancy terminal emulator, which is making it difficult to find relevant information.)

This is my ~/.Xdefaults when using my default (larger) font:

--- Code: ---URxvt*scrollBar: true
URxvt*transparent: false
URxvt*title: Terminal
URxvt*foreground: white
URxvt*background: #300A24
URxvt*font: xft:Luxi Mono:pixelsize=14
URxvt*cursorColor: green
URxvt*fading: 30
URxvt*shading: 50
URxvt*color12: DodgerBlue1
URxvt*saveLines: 1000
fltk*scheme: gtk+
Xft.dpi: 96.0

--- End code ---

andyj:
What desktop and video graphics are you using? What is your locale setting? There are a lot of variables here. I've seen a few glitches with rxvt regarding wrapping but not this one.

jazzbiker:
Hi, guys!
I'm having the same trick at TC10.0 x86. I use Xfbdev. The same extra line feed occures in aterm exactly in the same manner, so definitely it is ash issue.

jazzbiker:
For example such overfeed can occur if ash is not informed well about the actual screen width. So the first line feed is performed by terminal emulator, and the second by ash.

jazzbiker:
I've made some experiments and can conclude, that ash requests screen dimensions only at start. Working with initial --geometry XxY is ok. Narrowing causes double feeding, widening causes line feed not reaching screen border.

--- Code: ---tc@box:~$ clear
--- End code ---
forces ash to acquire the screen dimensions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version