WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Wyse Thin Client  (Read 4798 times)

Offline keef

Wyse Thin Client
« on: August 03, 2019, 02:06:33 AM »
Hello. I'd like to use Tiny Core on a Wyse thin client I am playing with. It works fine, nice and snappy. It pauses for 1 minute at boot waiting for a keypress. What configuration file can I edit to get rid of that? The keyboard and mouse do not work until Tiny Core is fully booted. 

Please keep in mind I can barely spell Linux so I am not comfortable with it at all.

thanks

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:26:04 AM by keef »

Online neonix

Re: Wyse Thin Client
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 02:38:16 AM »
What model of WYSE hardware you use?
Here you can find some tips how to run Linux in specific hardware.
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/

Offline keef

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 05:28:33 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I have a VXO V10LE. David at https://www.parkytowers.me.uk has been and continues to be, very helpful to me. A great site and a really good guy. Tiny Core runs great on the thin client, I love it. I still have to check out wired internet but I am optimistic.

All I really need is to get rid of that 1-minute wait just as it boots up. I'm sure its tucked away in some configuration file.

thanks

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 05:59:32 AM »
Hi keef
... It pauses for 1 minute at boot waiting for a keypress. What configuration file can I edit to get rid of that? ...
That sounds like the timeout function in the boot loader. The file you are looking for is either  extlinux.cfg, syslinux.cfg, or menu.lst
depending on the boot loader that was installed. Check you boot disk for a  /boot/  or  /tce/boot/  directory. You should find an
extlinux, syslinux, or grub directory in there containing one of the config files I mentioned. The file will contain a line that says:
Code: [Select]
timeout 60or something similar. Reduce the number to 5 so the boot loader is still accessible.

If the number is 600, that boot loader measures its timeout in 1/10 of a second increments. Reduce the number to 50.

Offline keef

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 07:00:35 AM »
Thanks very much. I appreciate the help.