WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: chromium-browser  (Read 2460 times)

Offline TomyTurbos

chromium-browser
« on: March 06, 2019, 10:28:45 AM »
This may be more of a complaint than a bug, but I have seen this with other extensions as well.  It just happens to be more egregious in this case due to it's size.

After deletion(unistall) the files in /home/tc/.conf remain.

In the case of chromium, that's a BUNCH of stuff still being backed up, even though it was discarded.  This adds considerable time during shutdown and to me seems to be counter to the core philosophy of a light and fast OS. (I removed chromium specifically because it's a pig (IMO), not knowing that it left this huge and unnecessary artifact which turned out to be the reason for slow shutdown).

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: chromium-browser
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »
Hi TomyTurbos
... This adds considerable time during shutdown and to me seems to be counter to the core philosophy of a light and fast OS. ...
Having large amounts of data in your  home  directory has nothing to do with "a light and fast OS". You might want to consider a
 persistent home  directory to reduce startup/shutdown times.

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 01:29:46 PM »
To keep tabs on backup content pass the -d option to the file-tool
Quote from: wiki:backup
To list files that will be in backup and their size, use

filetool.sh -d

Offline TomyTurbos

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »
I realize there are other ways to solve the problem, but for reasons to complicated to explain here, they are not what I would consider to be a preferred method.  The bottom line is this:  If you say 'delete' (uninstall), EVERYTHING associated with a particular program should be uninstalled.  To do otherwise creates system rot.  It may not be immediately noticeable but there is a cumulative effect.  In other words, it's sloppy work.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:55:39 PM »
Oh Tommy....

It's time for you to study up on Tinycore concepts, persistence (particularly the different forms of persistent home) and extensions, instead of blaming the tools every time there's a feature misunderstanding..

I urge you to read
The Core Book http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html
The Wiki http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/
The Core Concepts http://tinycorelinux.net/concepts.html

When you've understood all that content, you'd know that it's not the responsibility of the program or the squash archive containing the program to remove your personal configuration data.   
Then there are persistence considerations.... 

After reading the core concepts you'd know that it was the vision of the TinyCore founders to boot to a pristine system on each and every boot.  An improperly configured persistence can interfere with this concept. 
What I'm saying here is if you've made changes to persistent home,  or not checked if chrome's data has been excluded from the backup then there's only one place to point the finger..

:)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:13:49 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 11:38:00 PM »
It is the Linux way to keep conf files when you remove a program; it works like that on all distros.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 03:38:58 AM »
If you say 'delete' (uninstall), EVERYTHING associated with a particular program should be uninstalled.  To do otherwise creates system rot.
for things in user home : ~/   perhaps it would be more correctly referred to as  "home rot"!

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 06:53:18 AM »

i just happened to be reading "How to tune filetool.lst for fast backup/restore" topic @ http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=4507.0

Just switched to Chromium after a long time using Namoroka, and immediately had a backup file 10X larger than it used to be.
A belated thank you to jur for researching a solution.

seems relevant wrt wrangling chromium & tc backup/restore size / time  8)