WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Kernel in TC 2.1  (Read 3380 times)

Offline helander

Kernel in TC 2.1
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:20:20 PM »
Will the config for the kernel used in TC 2.1 be made available ?
Are there any new patches applied compared to the kernel in TC 2.0?

/Lars

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Kernel in TC 2.1
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
According to 'uname -a' 2.1 kernel is the same 2.6.29.1-tinycore as in 2.0, dated on April 10. Also, change log do not list any kernel change.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline helander

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:53:34 PM »
According to 'uname -a' 2.1 kernel is the same 2.6.29.1-tinycore as in 2.0, dated on April 10. Also, change log do not list any kernel change.

There were a few things in the change log that possibly could mean some change to the kernel or kernel modules. Without knowing the details behind the change log entries it's hard to know if kernel/module changes have been made.
Some examples from the change log are "new squashfs module", "tmpfs instead of initramfs".

However, if the kernel is IDENTICAL to the kernel in 2.0 and the set of modules built into the TC root file system (tinycore.gz) are IDENTICAL to the root file system modules in 2.0, then it's great.

Regarding the above mentioned change log entries (squashfs, tmpfs/initramfs) I would be very happy if anyone could provide/point-out more detailed information about these changes.

/Lars

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:10:39 AM »
In general, only expect kernel change on major version changes (1.x, 2.x, 3.x...).

The squashfs module was replaced with an edited one, because it did not follow the existing conventions by using high-level warnings. Users need not see those.

initramfs -> tmpfs: the root filesystem is still in RAM, but in a different type. Using tmpfs instead lets utilities like df count free space on /
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline helander

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:56:29 AM »
In general, only expect kernel change on major version changes (1.x, 2.x, 3.x...).

The squashfs module was replaced with an edited one, because it did not follow the existing conventions by using high-level warnings. Users need not see those.

initramfs -> tmpfs: the root filesystem is still in RAM, but in a different type. Using tmpfs instead lets utilities like df count free space on /

Thanks for the info.

I am using a custom kernel, so I depend on understanding any changes made to the kernel or any kernel modules that are part of tinycore.gz. Is the squashfs module part of tinycore.gz in 2.1? If so, is a patch available so it can be built towards a custom kernel?

Is the change from initramfs->tmpfs made completely outside the kernel?

/Lars

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:01:44 AM »
If you don't mind the warnings, you can ignore the squashfs change for your custom kernel. The new module is a part of tinycore.gz. No patch currently, I ran a sed command replacing the ERROR with WARNING in all .c files part of squashfs (they weren't literally named ERROR and WARNING, I don't remember right now the actual names).

The change is done in an init script, so as long as your kernel includes tmpfs you should be fine.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:04:34 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:22:04 AM »

I am using a custom kernel, so I depend on understanding any changes made to the kernel or any kernel modules that are part of tinycore.gz.

Lars,

just curious, what is deifferent in your custom kernel compared to the stock TinyCore?

Béla
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline helander

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 03:23:06 AM »
If you don't mind the warnings, you can ignore the squashfs change for your custom kernel. The new module is a part of tinycore.gz. No patch currently, I ran a sed command replacing the ERROR with WARNING in all .c files part of squashfs (they weren't literally named ERROR and WARNING, I don't remember right now the actual names).

The change is done in an init script, so as long as your kernel includes tmpfs you should be fine.

Great, thanks.

Lars

Offline helander

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 03:25:41 AM »

I am using a custom kernel, so I depend on understanding any changes made to the kernel or any kernel modules that are part of tinycore.gz.

Lars,

just curious, what is deifferent in your custom kernel compared to the stock TinyCore?

Béla

Hi Béla,

my kernel is patched with the rt-patches (Real-Time), in order to get good audio characteristics in music production environments.

/Lars