WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Cant finish my TCL setups.  (Read 2735 times)

Offline TheXenMan

Cant finish my TCL setups.
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »
I have been booting into the TC iso and doing the installs a few times now trying to get to a point where I can actually use the system and have been having problems.

After I install using the tc-install and set it to not use those extensions off the iso I reboot and it works fine but everytime I reboot I have to setup the network ifconfig again as its never saved. I can ping my nameserver (8.8.8.8) and tried another IP and can ping other IPs but when I try to wget anything I get 'bad address'. Which is my issue cause I cannot do anything with the system until I can actually use tce-load -wi.

After 5 attempts of reformating I tried to do the install that uses the extensions on the iso that has the X environment but when the thing finishes booting I get the terminal screen and it only says 'failed in waitforX'. I did try it with sudo one time and it said about choosing a mouse or something but then had the waitforX failure.

(Hoping this is the correct section, so many sections. <.<)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:37:29 PM by TheXenMan »

Offline Misalf

Re: Cant finish my TCL setups.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:13:10 PM »
Correct, the network setup is not saved if you configure it manually via  ifconfig .

If you would be able to use the GUI Network tool, it would create a script (/opt/eth0.sh) that would be executed on boot via  /opt/bootlocal.sh . You can of course create that script yourself and add an entry to  bootlocal.sh .
Code: [Select]
/opt/eth0.sh &
However, a "backup" needs to be performed in order for your configurations to survive reboots.
Either via
filetool.sh -b
or
backup

Everything in  /opt  and in  /home/$USER  will by default be included in your backup file (/etc/sysconfig/tcedir/mydata.tgz).
Additional files can added to the backup file by editing  /opt/.filetool.lst .
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »
Re: failed in waitforX
I think the ISO boots into Xvesa. You may get a clue whats wrong by running the  Xvesa  command instead of the  startx  command.
Maybe Xvesa just won't run on your system and you need to install Xorg-7.7.tcz.
Xorg may also need additional drivers though. Like  xf86-video-intel.tcz , xf86-video-nouveau.tcz , etc.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
Not sure why you're getting that wget error.
This is an ethernet config that works for me:
#!/bin/sh

[ "`id -u`" -eq 0 ] || { echo "Must be root." ; exit 1 ; }

pkill udhcpc
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

# Google Public DNS
#echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" | tee /etc/resolv.conf
#echo "nameserver 8.8.4.4" | tee -a /etc/resolv.conf

# Comodo Secure DNS
echo "nameserver 8.26.56.26" | tee /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 8.20.247.20" | tee -a /etc/resolv.conf

Offline TheXenMan

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »
So only whenever making system changes I should do a backup? Or do I need to backup before every reboot or I would loose 'any' files changed on the disc?

Looks like the system doesn't have xvesa cause it can't find the command. I am using tightvnc right now but always had an issue with not being able to use the CTRL/Shift/Func keys using it so probably gonna find an update for it or use a different one to maybe be able to use it till I get openssh installed.

And I am usually use to nano and have been looking on the system and can only really find vi but that seems to be read only and buggy for me which is why I can't make any sh files.
Can't get nano to edit files cause I can't get wget to work, lol. Its all pretty sucky.

But, I am looking into my network setup. I just tried to ping the tinycore site repo and didn't get a call back so maybe my nameservers are not setup.

(Also, I am running on a VPS. I was thinking that I could try importing nano into the extensions folder to be installed by the installer but would need to talk to my provider to add that new iso and its a lot of work.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:07:26 PM by TheXenMan »

Offline Misalf

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 08:21:09 PM »
So only whenever making system changes I should do a backup?
Yes.  mydata.tgz  gets extracted at boot and its content is added to the filesystem in RAM.

Looks like the system doesn't have xvesa cause it can't find the command.
Try  Xvesa  with a capital "X".

Installing extensions manually is easy for some like nano, which has not much deps, very tricky for others like Xorg, which has a ton. Provided you have another computer connected to the internet (which you seem to have) and a USB stick to ship the files to your TC box.
You can just download extensions from  http://tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86/tcz/  (assuming you're on 7.x 32-bit)
together with its  .md5.txt  and  .dep  files and copy them to  /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional  (/etc/sysconfig/tcedir  is a symlink to your actual tce-directory probably at sda1/tce/).
Then check the  .dep  file and download what's listed inside.

http://tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86/tcz/nano.tcz
http://tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86/tcz/nano.tcz.md5.txt
http://tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86/tcz/nano.tcz.dep
http://tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86/tcz/ncurses.tcz
http://tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86/tcz/ncurses.tcz.md5.txt
If an extension has no  .dep  file, it has no deps.

BTW, you probably want to read the Core Book which contains everything I just said. :p
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:23:13 PM by Misalf »

Offline TheXenMan

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:10:07 PM »
Was able to resolve some of my issues, I can connect now but the eth0.sh file seems to load incorrectly. When I ifconfig the IPs are setup but the gateway doesn't get set and I cant get internet till I retype the ifconfig configuration line I have in eth0.sh and the 'route add default gw' command too. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:23:04 PM by TheXenMan »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »
And I am usually use to nano and have been looking on the system and can only really find vi but that seems to be read only and buggy for me which is why I can't make any sh files.

The busybox version of vi contained in the base tinycore has less features than the full version of vim, but it still works.

If vi seems to be read only, it usually means that you are trying to write to a read only file (an installed extension for example) or to write to a file for which you do not have the appropriate permissions.

If you are sure of what you are doing, you can use "sudo vi filename" to edit files with admin priviledges.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »
..but whenever I reboot the file disappears. Guessing each file has to be set in a list to get backed up?

See /opt/.filetool.lst - it would be a good idea to read the FAQ, wiki, core book, etc

Offline TheXenMan

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »
..but whenever I reboot the file disappears. Guessing each file has to be set in a list to get backed up?

See /opt/.filetool.lst - it would be a good idea to read the FAQ, wiki, core book, etc

Yeah, I remember reading about the file but couldn't find it cause I forgot I usually cant see those types of files with the periods as a first char. Will look at the book eventually, I did a quick browse on it before when I was having my main issues.