WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: VMware mouse pointer integration  (Read 3311 times)

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
VMware mouse pointer integration
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
Hello,

my main TCE development platform is a VMware virtual machine, which is running fine. The only thing that gets annoying is the "missing" mouse pointer integration. When the generic mouse driver is replaced by a custom VMware one, no "mouse grabbing" is done anymore. It's the only thing I really miss working with TCL in a virtual machine. What would be the easiest way to get that done?

I could try to hack it in XFree 4.8.0's TinyX/Xvesa or try to compile the driver for a xorg.tce. I gave both ideas a quick shot, but none of them worked out at first try. I'm leaning towards trying the xorg path again this weekend. Anyone had any success on this topic yet?

Offline danielibarnes

Re: VMware mouse pointer integration
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 03:12:30 PM »
I don't know if it will help, but this link has some tips under the "xorg setup" section
http://open-vm-tools.wiki.sourceforge.net/Packaging

I will submit an extension for open-vm-tools for 1.x this weekend. I haven't made the jump to 2.0 yet, but I'll get to it.

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
Re: VMware mouse pointer integration
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:51:09 AM »
Thanks, it was a good start.

The vmware mouse driver is not part of the toolbox, but of Xorg. I finally managed to it running, but it's not working correctly now. The mouse pointer is now at the right place, but it sends clicks all the time, even if I don't press the button.

It seems that my workaround for the "can't compile" problem was not 100%.  :-[