WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core 2.0 on an OLD Compaq laptop  (Read 2536 times)

Offline KB2HSH

• The KB2HSH Radio Experimentation Page
Tiny Core 2.0 on an OLD Compaq laptop
« on: June 15, 2009, 06:00:39 AM »
Good morning, everyone. 

Just "weighing in" to mention that TC 2.0 runs fantastically on my ancient 233 MHz PII Compaq laptop.  I was "shopping" around for a light distro that I could use on my garage PC...and after trying a few, TC seems to be what I needed.  Puppy worked well, but I have no use for photo editing software, an office suite, and games I'll never play.  TC is unique in that I start with a clean slate, and add what I want to add.  Too bad MS never built upon that concept.

All that's left for me to "add" to TC is a PS/2 mouse (I hate touchpads...and my serial mouse doesn't work), audio drivers, and wireless (TC doesn't see my Belkin F5D7010 wifi card...but it does see my Xircon modem/NIC).

But for a super lightweight distro where all I want is to run telnet, an IRC client, and maybe some Google News, TC is PERFECT.

Offline gerits

• http://gerits-r.be
Re: Tiny Core 2.0 on an OLD Compaq laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:30:24 AM »
Microsoft can never run on a concept like this, because when they do this they would ask money for everything.. And nobody wants to pay for ms games and windows media player..

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: Tiny Core 2.0 on an OLD Compaq laptop
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »
(TC doesn't see my Belkin F5D7010 wifi card...but it does see my Xircon modem/NIC).
Did you try the wireless extensions?