WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: firefox-vlc interaction?  (Read 5083 times)

Offline thane

firefox-vlc interaction?
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:05:34 PM »
Using firefox-getLatest, I recently downloaded the latest version of Firefox (44.0). I already had VLC installed. Then when visiting a website I clicked on an mp3 file. Instead of downloading the file as I expected Firefox went to a media player screen and started playing the file. It is also able to play downloaded files locally. As an experiment I deleted VLC using Apps and rebooted. Firefox then did not play the mp3 file but showed the download pop-up as in earlier versions. When I re-installed VLC Firefox could again play mp3 files.

I guess Firefox now has some feature enabled by default that enables it to play mp3 files, but only if certain libraries are available on Tiny Core that happen to be part of the VLC app?

Offline coreplayer2

Re: firefox-vlc interaction?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 03:37:42 AM »
FF v44.0 appears to be one step closer to natively supporting video in HTML5,  its improving but no cigar not yet anyhow :(
Coincidentally, I also noticed there was no sound while the HTML5 player tried to play a YouTube video (vlc not loaded of course).
iirc VLC2 was compiled with better youtube support (whatever that means...)

My eyes hurt attempting to watch a video in the HTML5 player, however we can return some sanity to our lives using "YouTube Flash Video Player" a Firefox extension
which allows us to force one player of choice over the other.  By that I mean force Flash player, which plays video fluidly at 720p and greater with sound. 
At least until HTML5 player serves up video smoothly.

:-\

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 04:20:28 AM »
..or you could use epiphany  ;)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
..or you could use epiphany  ;)
Unfortunately...  epiphany doesn't appear to have native support, though it does support h264 which is a plus

Flash11 still saves the day however  ;D

BTW how exactly do you resize an epiphany window when it doesn't have any corners or window borders?   eog allows resize by dragging a corner despite not having any borders, but epiphany doesn't appear to have this option.  I'm looking for keyboard shortcuts in the meantime

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 09:33:12 PM »
I guess not native support as it is supplied by gstreamer, but it works.

Several of the gnome app windows will only resize properly in the gnome environment (and perhaps a wm that I've not yet discovered)  :(

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 01:47:31 AM »
Mplayer SVN now has SSL support via gnutls. Waiting for someone to do the same for openssl. Good for webkitfltk ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 09:23:57 PM »
A strange thing happened, I fired up Firefox v44.0 on another Tinycore (v7) powered notebook and you-tube HTML5 Video and sound played great without any other plugins or audio players loaded...!

Where sound fails for me is where TC7 and alsa is configured to use SPDIF out.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 09:31:25 PM »
I'm not so sure that alsa is configured to come up that way, but rather that's the way it comes up as default.

For both alsa-1.0.28 and 1.0.29, my laptop comes up with hdmi as default and the laptop speakers as device 1, which makes no logical sense whatsoever  :(

I seem to recall that the behaviour can be modified with .asoundrc or similar.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 11:15:55 PM »
Exactly my microphone is set as default device, but with a few small changes to a config file (asoundrc) we can control whatever setting we need.

IIRC I've already mentioned this..? 
For example, I need SPDIF on my main pc as SPDIF via optical cable is in use yet alsa starts with the microphone as the default audio out (go figure..).  Out of 3 possible audio devices alsa chooses the microphone over HDMI and SPDIF out..  Also both SPDIF channels are muted on boot and the backup of asound.state seems to be ignored.   But there is a cure for all these symptoms.

When Alsa returns to previously incorrect device on reboot, then I found it's best to create a config file (~/.asoundrc) to set desired default device
Code: [Select]
run "cat /proc/asound/cards" to reveal the hardware
 tc@box:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [AK5370         ]: USB-Audio - AK5370
                      AKM AK5370 at usb-0000:00:14.0-14, full speed
 1 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7330000 irq 31
 2 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf7080000 irq 17
Here we find ALSA has set a USB Microphone as default playback device  (device 0)

To rectify this I use .asoundrc in home directory, which permanently (as long as the rc file is present)  sets the default device.
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card PCH
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card PCH

Then I use a couple commands run via .Xd  to unmute both SPDIF controls 
amixer -c 0 cset name='IEC958 Default PCM Playback Switch' on
amixer -c 1 cset name='IEC958 Playback Switch' on
alsa is now configured for the correct device and is un-muted on every  boot

I have a road warrior notebook which uses Realtek ALC662 chip and standard notebook speakers, which are configured correctly on boot.  Only issue is the Master control always starts muted despite a backed up asound.state file.  This can also be rectified with a command via .Xd at boot. using information from  aplay -l ,  amixer controls  and  cat /proc/asound/cards
amixer set -c 0 Master 60 unmute with the following 
" set -c 0 "  = set card 0
" Master " = the control to set
" 60 "  = the volume level between 0-64 (AIUI 64 = 100% for this card)

Now with each boot the Master is always unmuted and the volume is set at approximately 92%

:D

Both these tips should be in the wiki :)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:18:01 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline thane

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 12:39:11 AM »
<bump>

Not worth starting a new thread for, but I was able to get Firefox (50.1.0) to play mp3 files by adding libavcodec.tcz (and its dependencies) to my extensions. These extensions are also dependencies of vlc, which explains why Firefox (even 44.0) was able to play mp3 files after vlc was installed.