WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: h264-mpeg4 avc (part 10) (avc1)  (Read 10685 times)

Offline john11

h264-mpeg4 avc (part 10) (avc1)
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:27:10 AM »
Hi And thanks for reading this post.

I am having problems with vlc media player and stuttering video playback on all videos which use the H264 mpeg4 avc (part10) (avc1) codec, this is a request to have this codec inserted into vlc.

The video playback is fine in windows 7 using the same hardware, but with vlc in tiny core the video playback stutters badly with the message : vlc does not recognise the audio video codec.

Many thanks. John.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: h264-mpeg4 avc (part 10) (avc1)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 04:27:19 AM »
Did you try to find the codecs supported by vlc/vlc2 as suggested in your other thread (vlc > tools > media codecs)?

Did you send a pm to the extension maintainer (also suggested in your other thread)?

Did you try mplayer or totem as alternatives (also suggested in your other thread)?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »
Hi John

VLC2 supports H264 mpeg4 AVC 10 codec in a Matroska container.    I've included here in this screenshot the plugins window:  vlc2 > tools > plugins and extensions,
also shown is the codec information page.of a video playing using vlc2 clearly indicates the video is encoded using H264 mpeg4 AVC 10 codec

I think we're barking up the wrong tree here..

i get a message " vlc does not recognize the audio or video format "
Is this issue resolved using vlc2, if not then perhaps look at the Audio codec required, though I doubt this being an issue because the a52 codec is also listed as an installed vlc2 plugin

Earlier you had described the issue as "the playback is stuttering badly" this is likely a video driver issue

need more info, to start with which tc version and architecture, which video driver and Xvesa or Xorg  ??
From a terminal post the output of
version
getBuild
uname -a

like this
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ version
7.0beta3
tc@box:~$ getBuild
x86
tc@box:~$ uname -a
Linux box 4.2.9-tinycore #1999 SMP Mon Jan 18 19:42:12 UTC 2016 i686 GNU/Linux
tc@box:~$

totem is a great player also, did you try?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:38:58 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »
Also would help with a listing of currently installed extensions

ls -1 /usr/local/tce.installeduse with code tags for easier reading please

Offline john11

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 02:02:25 AM »
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I am using vlc2, forgot to mention.

Version: 6.4.1
getBuild: x86
Uname: Linux box 3.16.6-tinycore#777 smp thu oct 16 09:42:42 utc 2014 1686 gnu/linux

For  ls -1 /usr/local/tce.installed   i get a list of 22 different options such as
-c list by columns
-x list by lines
-d list directory enteries

Not sure what to do but I have attached my boot file which may help. I only installed vlc2 and alsa.

I did try totem and mplayer but they do not have a front end, the family do not know how to use it, they prefer simpler vlc where you just click on a file and it starts.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:07:37 AM by john11 »

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 02:19:44 AM »
That should be "ls -l /usr/local/tce.installed" i.e. an "l" and not a "1".

Note that you can achieve the same thing (a list of loaded extensions) with "tce-status -i".

How did you download vlc2 and alsa? The reason I ask is that if you used the apps gui or "tce-load -iw", then the extensions which vlc2 and alsa depend on will automatically be downloaded and loaded with them.

Note also that extension dependencies are recursive so there is a lot of needless repetition in your onboot.lst - this will not, however, stop anything from working.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:25:41 AM by Juanito »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 02:48:54 AM »
regarding the onboot.lst, there is nothing there which will prevent vlc2 from working

However expanding on the dependencies as Juanito commented

these are not required for your purposes (unless you need the locale for local language support).
vlc2-locale.tcz
vlc2-dev.tcz
vlc2-doc.tcz
alsa-dev.tcz

However you should add only (in place of the above)
vlc2.tcz
alsa.tcz

Either alsa.tcz or alsa-config.tcz  whichever gives you sound starting with alsa.tcz is probably best

How do you manage without a File Manager??  I guess that's why you need a fromt-end to mplayer however totem has a gui

When that's all cleaned up look at the audio codec requirements?  and the devices set for output

Also check and maybe try another video output, (though I doubt you have many choices)
Tools > Preferences > audio and Video output

The reason I asked about mplayer was to clarify there wasn't an underlying file system or video driver issue causing the stuttering, that said did the video play well in mplayer?

:)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:54:27 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline john11

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 12:41:14 AM »
Hi. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I did install everything under vlc2 and alsa as i am desperate to get it working and cannot not think of anything else, thought perhaps i had missed something.

I did download alsa and vlc2 using the appbrowser which is in wbar, is this wrong, should i have used command line. Is there any reason why the necessary extensions may have not been downloaded, perhaps download error.

I have been trying all the different audio and video output options in vlc, but does not make a difference. Could it be a clash between tinycore and the video or audio card.

With the stuttering video sometimes i get the message: vlc does not recognise the audio video codec, but sometimes it stutters without the message

Since no one else is having this problem vlc and alsa are probably fine and it may well be a driver issue, can this be addressed in any way.

Many thanks.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 01:49:34 AM »
Are you using Xvesa, Xfbdev or Xorg-7.7 for video (if you're unsure, you can open a terminal window and enter "ps aux | grep X")?

If you're using Xorg-7.7, are you using it with one of the xf86-video-* extensions?

What video hardware does your machine have (you can use the "lspci" command from the pci-utils extension to find out)?

Offline john11

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 01:48:10 AM »
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what i am using, but here are the results of the command ps aux | grep X

3991 root   xvesa -br -screen 1024x768x32 -shadow -2button -mouse /dev/input/ mice,5 -no listen tcp -i
4027  root  /sbin/udhcpc -b -i ethd -x hostname box -p /var/run/udhcpc.etho.pid
4054  tc ps aux
4055  tc grep x

Hope that makes sense.

Concerning the hardware, i don't have pci utils extensions installed, but i will download it and post the results.
I did want to ask a supplementary question about hardware, i have a gigabyte motherboard that unfortunatly does not have gpt partioning support in the bios, some of my hard drives are not being detected.
I want to purchase a new board and wondered if you could recommend any makes or models which work particularly well with tiny core, good driver support, fewer bugs.
I am trying to maximise the audio and video capabilities of vlc media player and want a board which will allow that. i googled and found that gaming boards are manufactured with better capacitors, regulators etc, higher quality components, and generally have better specs
should i be trying for a gaming board, will that yield the best a/v performance or are motherboards unimportant in that respect.

Thank you.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 02:27:31 AM »
OK, so you're using Xvesa, which might be the reason for your choppy video.

Once you've used "lspci" to determine what hardware you have, you might get better results from using Xorg-7.7 together with the appropriate video driver for your hardware.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 04:49:39 AM »
Motherboards don't really matter for av performance. Your graphics card and cpu matter, and their drivers of course.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline john11

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 01:22:21 AM »
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

Curaga   Thanks for the advice. Paid £140 for a motherboard and it has lasted me a week, was hoping someone could steer me towards a good board. 

Juanito   Have installed pci utilities, it does not show up anywhere, how do i run it.

Thank you

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 01:38:52 AM »
hi John11

to check which hardware you have,  open a terminal and type  lspci -vv  or simply just  lspci   without the options.   You will be presented with a list of your hardware

Offline john11

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 01:25:24 AM »
regarding the onboot.lst, there is nothing there which will prevent vlc2 from working

However expanding on the dependencies as Juanito commented

these are not required for your purposes (unless you need the locale for local language support).
vlc2-locale.tcz
vlc2-dev.tcz
vlc2-doc.tcz
alsa-dev.tcz

However you should add only (in place of the above)
vlc2.tcz
alsa.tcz

Either alsa.tcz or alsa-config.tcz  whichever gives you sound starting with alsa.tcz is probably best

:)

Thanks for the replies.

Why is it not necessary to install vlc-dev  and vlc-doc, alsa-dev, etc   don't these have extra scripts and features to increase the functionality of alsa and vlc.

I got a list of the hardware, the video hardware is  " vga compatible controller: advanced micro devices, inc. [amd/ati] thames [radeon hd7550m/7570m/7650m] "

Many thanks.