WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dCore command help usage  (Read 1726 times)

Offline nitram

dCore command help usage
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:43:50 PM »
Commonly used dCore commands now have reasonably detailed help and usage guides. In terminal just run 'command -h' or 'command --help'. Let me know if i missed any other useful commands or made errors. Thanks.

sce-debpurge
sce-import
sce-load
sce-ondemand
sce-remove
sce-searchprebuilt
sce-update
tce-setdrive
version

Offline jls

Re: dCore command help usage
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:26:31 AM »
Hi
Thanks nitram. Examples missing in some of the commands, and it's not clear if it's possible to enter one or more sce(s), and if yes, how to separate them (commas, spaces).
dCore user

Offline nitram

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »
Hi jls_legalize.

Purposely kept examples minimum, only if the command appeared complex, such as  sce-import -l  . Also wanted all --help screens to fit within a single default terminal screen (80 x 24 characters) so they are easily readable with default terminal or text boot. Not easy with sce-import.

Most commands can be used with option combinations but i did not have time to test all combinations. Some would obviously contradict (eg sce-import -bo). The --help guides are not meant to be entire multi-page man pages, just a reasonable quick start so new users don't have to review the scripts to understand how to use the system.

Some usages indicate 'sce-load SCE1 SCE2' for example, indicating space seperated no comma. Just noticed this type of example is not in sce-import. So will review again.

Still works in progress and i slowly submit continued updates to Jason. Reviewed the sce-* scipts and there are still several CASE options that were never even captured in the original --help usage, they will be added, example:
sce-import -l
sce-import -k
sce-load -s
sce-ondemand -e

jls_legalize it would be most helpful if you could provide very specific feedback on items that should have examples, clarifications or additions. Otherwise the best i can do is review with my own eyes but still won't see what you're seeing. All feedback appreciated, thanks.

Offline nitram

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:37:06 PM »
Also started on echo outputs to make the system more user friendly and transparent, ongoing project.

If anyone has specific items they want addressed please let me know, thanks.

Quick examples:
- version -c  now lists latest releae directly under current, easier to quick check version #
- sce-debpurge, sce-import, etc indicate which Debian and Debian security index was fetched
- sce-debpurge -p confirms DEBINX preserved
- using wrong case option informs user to run  command --help  for usage information
- some wordings changed for readability or to fit into 80 character terminal width
- some extra echo spacing to improve readability

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »
Great initiative, thanks for your work! Will only eventually get to testing it, unfortunately.