WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Libreoffice Impress - feasibility  (Read 2339 times)

Offline rustleg

Libreoffice Impress - feasibility
« on: January 08, 2016, 05:25:03 AM »
I'd like to hear any comments about whether it is reasonable to expect to run libreoffice impress in TinyCore on a pi 2B to show a looped slideshow, and roughly what I'd need to do to get it working i.e. is it available as an app. Background as follows:

I am setting up a pi to control a HDMI TV noticeboard display. The display will run Libreoffice Impress. I have it working nicely with raspbian: a startup script imports a powerpoint/impress slideshow from a shared folder in a PC on the network (reruns every 5 minutes to check for updated slideshow) and runs the slideshow with soffice. I've also got remote desktop (uses x11vnc) in it as well but that's not important. I haven't installed it yet in its final place but my concern is that someone will pull the plug and screw up the SD card, so I'm wondering how difficult it will be to get TinyCore to do this. I am still very much the newbie with TinyCore - I've run it on a spare PC and am still finding out how to install apps, etc. But it looks like the ideal solution, albeit quite a learning curve. I've used a few Linux distros for a few years, with simple bash scripting, etc, but nothing too deep.

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
Re: Libreoffice Impress - feasibility
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:51:15 AM »
I'd like to hear any comments about whether it is reasonable to expect to run libreoffice impress in TinyCore on a pi 2B to show a looped slideshow, and roughly what I'd need to do to get it working i.e. is it available as an app. Background as follows:

I am setting up a pi to control a HDMI TV noticeboard display. The display will run Libreoffice Impress. I have it working nicely with raspbian: a startup script imports a powerpoint/impress slideshow from a shared folder in a PC on the network (reruns every 5 minutes to check for updated slideshow) and runs the slideshow with soffice. I've also got remote desktop (uses x11vnc) in it as well but that's not important. I haven't installed it yet in its final place but my concern is that someone will pull the plug and screw up the SD card, so I'm wondering how difficult it will be to get TinyCore to do this. I am still very much the newbie with TinyCore - I've run it on a spare PC and am still finding out how to install apps, etc. But it looks like the ideal solution, albeit quite a learning curve. I've used a few Linux distros for a few years, with simple bash scripting, etc, but nothing too deep.

VNC works fine on piCore, but LibreOffice has a ton of dependencies that are not on piCore.   

Luckily in my environment where I am doing what you are asking, we have a windows based machine that does the main display (powerpoint viewer), and then I use some rpi remotes that just vnc back to the windows machine to display content.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Libreoffice Impress - feasibility
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 09:56:47 AM »
Yes, TC can be configured to be safe from powercuts. Though the Pi is special in that it can corrupt SD cards even when the card is read-only, or even not mounted at all, due to shoddy hardware.

So TC instead of raspbian would remove most of the replacement needs, but not all.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.