WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to run TC-2.0 as ROOT so all apps, etc operate as ROOT?  (Read 2634 times)

Offline linus72

• Damn it Jim!
I'm playing around in tc-2.0 and wanna know how to run every app as root, without having to open a root shell and type it in?
Example, to run XFE as root I type in root shell "xfe".
Can I use the superuser boot code and still get to Desktop and all will run as root?
Basically, I want to make a rescue disk, wherein you must run as root 24/7, that way no issues moving data across partitions/drives.

Offline helander

Re: How to run TC-2.0 as ROOT so all apps, etc operate as ROOT?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »
I got this working using the "superuser" boot code and with copying WM and desktop related configuration files from /home/tc to /root I also got the normal TC desktop.

/Lars.

Offline linus72

• Damn it Jim!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »
sounds good, I will try it.
I just get tired of having to type "xfe" in root terminal to get root xfe.
thanks helander.
did you get your usb, etc working?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:49:53 PM »
As for XFE I can add a "open as root" menu option like emelfm2.

Offline linus72

• Damn it Jim!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 05:33:21 AM »
that would be great Jason, as xfe is a great tool.
also, what about rox?
which is better file manager for rescue disk, xfe or rox?
thanks

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 06:32:40 AM »
I will do the same with ROX, and I will try to see what could be done in the window to indicate when running as root.

As for which one is better would be a matter of taste in my opinion.  Xfe may have less space taken by dependencies.

Offline Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »
As for XFE I can add a "open as root" menu option like emelfm2.

I will do the same with ROX

I think this is a bad idea.

Tiny Core is ideal for installing on computers which the public have access to such as in Internet Cafes and Libraries. It is easy to install, and unlikely to suffer from file system corruption. In some situations a file manager may be installed so users can copy files to a USB drive. You would probably remaster, and remove access to the terminal.

If you give a computer to children (and even some adults), they often click on everything and see what happens. They make some operating systems unusable fairly quickly, such as older versions of Windows. Tiny Core is ideal for these situations. If they do not have root access, Tiny Core should always work. If they have root access, they are likely to make it unusable.

I think some people don't think of Tiny Core as an operating system for professional use. I believe, the time is coming when Tiny Core will be used in many different professional situations. Internet cafes and libraries are just examples. It should be developed with this in mind.

This is my opinion. It is OK for others to have a different opinion.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »
It is always nice to hear folks say good things about TC and its capabilities.  Some use it as a rescue disk.   Others as a server.  Yet others use it for older hardware.  

You have mentioned using TC as essentially a kiosk.   You think TC should be tailor made with that particular use in mind.  But you already stated that a remaster would be in order to remove the terminal and such.  Also a tailor made set of programs would need to be either included in the iso or loaded from a directory and access to the repo taken away.  So why not edit out the unwanted menu entries of the extensions in that collection of apps?  

Of course, the same logic applies to those who are making a remaster to be used as a rescue disk.  A "open as root" option can easily be added in the extension in the remaster.

There is no approach that will make everybody happy.  Personally I prefer a "open as root" option for file managers.  But regardless of my position on whether or not to include that menu option, 50% of folks are going to disagree with me.