WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Strange error msg in the end of bootup ...  (Read 4008 times)

Offline emninger

Strange error msg in the end of bootup ...
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »
In the end of the bootup i'm getting the following error msgs:

Code: [Select]
touch: /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/xwbar.lst No such file or directory
chown: /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/xwbar.lst No such file or directory
chmod: /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/xwbar.lst No such file or directory
touch: /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/xwbar.lst No such file or directory
chown: /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/xwbar.lst No such file or directory
chmod: /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/xwbar.lst No such file or directory
ls: /usr/share/applications/abiword.desktop No such file or directory

What does that mean? And how can i correct that?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Offline nitram

Re: Strange error msg in the end of bootup ...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »
Do you have a wbar.lst file in the directory of the error message, if not create.
On my system it's an empty file, tc:staff with 644 permissions.
Reboot and see if error disappears.

Offline emninger

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »
Do you have a wbar.lst file in the directory of the error message, if not create.
On my system it's an empty file, tc:staff with 644 permissions.
Reboot and see if error disappears.

Hmm, the directory is a symbolic link pointing to /mnt/sda1/tce :sgrat:

Offline nitram

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »
Mine is similar, try creating there:
  touch /mnt/sda1/tce/wbar.lst

Offline emninger

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »
Done - with success! Thanks a lot!

What do i do with the line of Abiword? Now i've one of mplayer too. I'm pretty sure that's a track of having loaded locally. Is there something like tce-unload (which i presume would make disappear that line(s).

Offline nitram

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 06:22:06 PM »
Is Abiword installed or did you install it then later manually remove the .tcz?
Maybe you removed Abiword but still have it listed in your onboot.lst or in .X.d ?

Offline emninger

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 11:17:10 PM »
Is Abiword installed or did you install it then later manually remove the .tcz?
Maybe you removed Abiword but still have it listed in your onboot.lst or in .X.d ?

I've Abiword downloaded locally, but only for Ondemand. This line came up after i loaded locally Abiword with the Apps tool; on the next reboot this line came up. When i did the same with mplayer, on the next reboot after that load locally there came up a line for mplayer too
ls: /usr/local/share/applications/mplayer.desktop: No such file or directory
No, neither Abiword nor mplayer are listed in onboot.lst. In .X.d/ there are only conky and xscreensaver ...

Too me it seems like something related to something like lxde (?). I looked into that directory in and i see that mplayer.desktop and abiword.desktop are symbolic links without the real file whereto it points! The rest (like tinycore-editor.desktop) are real files. May be that symbolic link(s) was created when loading Abiword locally, but shouldn't that be cleaned up when shutting down the system???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:22:50 PM by emninger »

Offline Misalf

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 11:44:05 PM »
Maybe your  /opt/.filetool.lst  has some bad entries.
Can you post it's contend?

In your first post...
"/usr/share/applications/..."
isn't used, but
"/usr/local/share/applications/...".

/usr/local/share/applications/*.desktop  files should point to their respective extension mountpoint in  /tmp/tcloop/*extension-name* .
If there are real files, they were either included in the initrd (core.gz) or have been copied to RAM because the respective extensions are listed in  /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/copy2fs.lst  or because of the existance of the file  /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/copy2fs.flg .
"copy2fs" (Apps -> Installation Options -> Install to File System) makes extensions not staying mounted but copied to the file system in RAM so the boot media can be removed and/or access time gets decreased.

I find it strange that xwbar.lst wasn't created - not sure if it will always be created though - are you sure you have enough free space left on your drive?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:46:45 PM by Misalf »
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline emninger

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 01:07:08 AM »
Maybe your  /opt/.filetool.lst  has some bad entries.
Can you post it's contend?

In your first post...
"/usr/share/applications/..."
isn't used, but
"/usr/local/share/applications/...".

That was i typo i presume since i wrote it down by hand from the console entry ;) Don't know how to cut&paste in the console (?)

/usr/local/share/applications/*.desktop  files should point to their respective extension mountpoint in  /tmp/tcloop/*extension-name* .
If there are real files, they were either included in the initrd (core.gz) or have been copied to RAM because the respective extensions are listed in  /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/copy2fs.lst  or because of the existance of the file  /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/copy2fs.flg .
"copy2fs" (Apps -> Installation Options -> Install to File System) makes extensions not staying mounted but copied to the file system in RAM so the boot media can be removed and/or access time gets decreased.

I find it strange that xwbar.lst wasn't created - not sure if it will always be created though - are you sure you have enough free space left on your drive?

As for the free space on the disk:
tc@box:~$ df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                  899.6M    483.0M    416.6M  54% /
tmpfs                   499.8M         0    499.8M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1                14.5G    519.5M     14.0G   3% /mnt/sda1
/dev/sda1                14.5G    519.5M     14.0G   3% /home
/dev/sda1                14.5G    519.5M     14.0G   3% /opt

My /opt/.filetool.lst:
opt
home
opt/eth0.sh
usr/local/share/
etc/

Then i realize. there is also an .xfiletool.lst (?)
Cache
cache
.cache
XUL.mfasl
XPC.mfasl
mnt
.adobe/Flash_Player/AssetCache
.macromedia/Flash_Player
.opera/opcache
.opera/cache4
.Xauthority
.wmx

I never ever dealt with that applications .... So, is that by default?

Offline Misalf

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 01:30:23 AM »
Aha, do NOT add  /usr/local/share/  to your backup! This directory can get quite big.
Instead, only add specific files (or small directories) you want to keep from inside that directory.

Your  .xfiletool.lst  is default, yes.

Copy & paste:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:mouse

Offline emninger

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 02:03:15 AM »
Aha, do NOT add  /usr/local/share/  to your backup! This directory can get quite big.
Instead, only add specific files (or small directories) you want to keep from inside that directory.

Your  .xfiletool.lst  is default, yes.

Copy & paste:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:mouse

Ok. Now i added /usr/local/share/X11/ and /usr/local/share/etc/ . As for the latter a question: I notice that tinycorelinux makes extensive use of /opt and /usr/local/ (which is similar to BSD and Darwin, but a bit different to most other linuces i'm aware of, mostly slackware and debian, a bit). For example tor and polipo were configured here, as far as i understand. So that directory should be included to backup in any case, correct?

PS. I'm aware of the middle-button technique for cut and paste in aterm/xterm etc (darkly i remember, from some debian instruction, it's stderr vs. stdout related). But on the console, i do not see, how you can highlight???
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:11:27 AM by emninger »

Offline nitram

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 02:42:38 AM »
/usr/local/share/X11/ and /usr/local/share/etc/ are still directories, as Misalf mentioned best just to add individual files when possible, keeps backups small.

Control Panel -> BackupRestore -> Included For Backup -> most cases you would select Add File not Add Directory.

Example, etc/X11/xorg.conf, not the entire /X11 directory (bad example, probably just contains the one file).

Same with usr/local/share/etc/ (assume typo, don't think TC uses this directory).

You're saying Tor is configured in /usr/local? You would not backup the entire directory, just individual files required to maintain Tor persistence. Sorry not familiar with Tor's directory structure. Is Tor a *.tcz? If so then none of those files would require additional backup, unless you made specific changes or have additional configuration files not present in the *.tcz.

In TTY you can output to file. Example:
  ls > /home/tc/list_of_files

Offline emninger

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 04:52:27 AM »
Thanks nitram. It's a bit complicate: For example, i added a fluxbox style, to /usr/local/share/fluxbox/ which not backing up /usr/local/share/ went away (consider i'm unused to the tinystyle ;) ).

As for tor, there is a torrc file in /usr/local/etc/tor, which can/should be configured to define/exclude exit nodes etc. Same goes for polipo which is used as forwarding proxy - given you would not set tor as a systemwide proxy.

May be, once i'll have finished the setup of tiny on this netbook, may be i'll have a clearer idea, which files are to protect. But actually, with constant configuring and rebooting it's a bit difficult to keep in mind all the files and configs you changed in one or another directory ;)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 05:10:11 AM »
I used  ~/.fluxbox/styles/  in the past.
backing up  /usr/local/share/fluxbox/  wouldn't be that much of a difference though, except that you would also backup the symlinks from the Fluxbox extension.

It's true that some apps look for their configs in  /usr/local/etc/some-app/  or similar. probably not a problem in backing up those directories but usually apps look in the users home directory first. That might be easier to organize too.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 05:50:44 AM »
Do NOT add etc to .filetool.lst !
That will overwrite boot time configuration with old data.