WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: FirefoxFlashHelper.tcz feedback...  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Misalf

Re: FirefoxFlashHelper.tcz feedback...
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 02:35:35 AM »
There might be more people like you (and me) who don't like to trash their 'old' hardware.
Unfortunately, just because software to use certain features isn't offered anymore, they might be forced to get new hardware. Even though Core is not designed to run on outdated hardware, its low foot print makes it a good choice, provided the hardware isn't too old.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline coreplayer2

FirefoxFlashHelper.tcz feedback...
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 07:40:11 AM »
coreplayer2 wrote:
I can't remember if the getFlash extension was created to overcome the constant updates? or resolve Adobe licensing issues..?
I believe Flash 11 for Linux now just receives security updates, but i didn't check the script to see how getFlash11 handles this.
getFlash extension simply gets the latest version.  Everytime FireFox complains of flash being outdated, simply run getFlash to install the latest version.

...I'm sure there are folks who would greatly appreciate having a Flash10 extension in the repo.
getFlash10 hasn't been in any TC repositories since TC 3 or 4, so there does not appear to be any demand. I don't recall seeing any requests for it since i started on this forum a few months ago and thus far no interest expressed in this thread.
This is not the first request for a flash v10 downgrade,  though I'm not sure if flash v10 is available for download..?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:00:52 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »
Ok I found flash v10 in the download archives,  "flashplayer_10_3r183_90_linux"  maybe we can use that in a separate getFlash10 extension for older hardware??
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:42:40 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline nitram

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 10:10:17 PM »
Misalf wrote:
There might be more people like you (and me) who don't like to trash their 'old' hardware.
Okay...maybe we're not the only two left  :-)
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,18429.msg112486.html#msg112486

coreplayer2 wrote:
Ok I found flash v10 in the download archives,  "flashplayer_10_3r183_90_linux"  maybe we can use that in a separate getFlash10 extension for older hardware??
You mean the Adobe archive site? This is where i get mine:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

Took a look at another one of my systems that's forced to use Flash 10. Although the hardware is faster and slightly newer than my day-to-day system, lshw confirmed the processor only supports SSE, not SSE2...so for now my SSE2 theory holds true.

Maybe a getFlash10 might be good, especially since there are now 3 confirmed people on this forum using old Flash  ;)

Not sure who you mean by we though. Speaking for myself, if i was to submit an extension it would simply be the manual install 'howto' with .dep support described in my earlier posts (Firefox only instructions, basic Alsa sound). This will likely be too limiting, however, to satisfy most TC users.

Sorry but as already mentioned i prefer manual installs, not scripts and i have no interest in modifying or maintaining an extension that is not related to my preferred browser or installation preference.

Offline nitram

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 01:10:18 AM »
Sorry for double-post, this SSE thing was bugging me so i did some quick research. Didn't get any actual confirmation from an Adobe site, but this is good enough for me.

Code: [Select]
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse...is an easy way to determine whether your processor supports sse or sse2 (no need to install lshw).

Since the 11.2 release Adobe Flash Player requires a processor with SSE2 support to run at all. I suppose all x86_64 processors are SSE2 capable, but there are still in use some i586 and i686 processors that don't support these extensions. There are at least two ways to use the Adobe Flash Player on such machines:
1. for more modern features use 11.1 releases
2. for recent security use 10.3 releases
Both ways proved to work well on my AMD Athlon XP.
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9459

On my old hardware, Flash 10.3 always works. Never had any success with version 11.1.

If i were to create a 'howto', it would essentially be the TC version of this, except installing Flash into /home/tc/.mozilla to keep it simple.
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1491

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 06:23:46 AM »
I'm finishing up a complete getFlash10 extension which should resolve this issue

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 03:13:20 PM »
A "getFlash10" extension has been submitted for use on older machines not capable of running Flash11 for both tc-5.x and tc-6.x, x86 repo's

hope that helps to run flash on older machines not meeting the requirements for Flash11