WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Difference between running a TCZ version and a compiled from source version  (Read 1548 times)

Offline amgh

Hi, I would like to know what is the difference between running a precompiled TCZ extension and a compiled from source version...

Scenario:

I'm running Tinycore 6. The Timidity TCZ extension and it's dep are not yet available for Core 6.x.

I have tried downloading the timidity extensions and it's dependencies from the 4.x repo. It loads okay, but couldn't test with my Dosbox setup because when I type timidity -iA, it outputs an error message saying that that TCZ version was not compiled with ALSA interface, so was unable to open the MIDI ports for ALSA.

Thus, I compiled from source, and fortunately everything works.

Q.

I find that by compiling, I have to make sure to backup the /usr/local/bin to save my compiled timidity.

Are there any differences between running from the TCZ extension and running the self-compiled from source version? (Other than the ability to run with the custom system configuration in mind)

Thank you for any information.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
I suggest you read the core book and visit the links at the top of the home page.
You should make an extension.  See the wiki for instructions.