WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Questions on Timidity & Munt ALSA Server  (Read 2195 times)

Offline amgh

Questions on Timidity & Munt ALSA Server
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:30:26 PM »
Hi, I'm running Tinycore 6 and have compiled Timidity using ALSAseq as the interface while compiling.

I'm using Timidity for running GeneralMIDI based games in Dosbox. And it works.

This is the first time I'm ever using Timidity and the first time compiled a program from source.

Q.a.: I now open up a terminal and run timidity -iA to open up the MIDI ports for use with ALSA, everytime I run Dosbox.

1. Is there a way to automate this process and run in the background, on boot?

2. Is it possible to invoke "timidity -iA" and let it run in background and return the terminal to the user?

Q.b.: And I would also like to repeat the above questions for Munt (MT-32/CM-32L emulator) - if they're the same answers as above?

(I have also successfully compiled Munt for MT-32 music in Core 6, and tested the music in Secret if Monkey Island in Dosbox. Everything works fine.)

I'm also aware I can use either Timidity or Munt at one time and not both?

Thank you for any information!

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Questions on Timidity & Munt ALSA Server
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »
Q.a.: I now open up a terminal and run timidity -iA to open up the MIDI ports for use with ALSA, everytime I run Dosbox.

1. Is there a way to automate this process and run in the background, on boot?

2. Is it possible to invoke "timidity -iA" and let it run in background and return the terminal to the user?

Q.b.: And I would also like to repeat the above questions for Munt (MT-32/CM-32L emulator) - if they're the same answers as above?

Did you check "./configure --help" to see if you can set alsa as the default before compiling?

Otherwise, you could include a start-up script in your timidity extension to run "timidity -iA" when the extension is loaded.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 01:19:30 AM »
Or the way you usually start servers, backgrounded/daemonized from /opt/bootlocal.sh.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline amgh

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:57:21 AM »
Thank you for the information.

Yes, I compiled with the --configure option to use alsa as default.

I'll try as per your advices. Thank you.