WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: VNC question  (Read 1596 times)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
VNC question
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:34:57 PM »
I have not actually USED vnc to date as most of my work has been through RDP (windows) or ssh/cli (nix) but in the near future I expect this to change and I've always thought VNC is specific to this need, but when reading a few minutes ago about TightVNC the documentation sounds as though it's not going to do the job.

Scenario: I have a laptop in the other room or even across town which my son is doing his homework and he has a problem of any given sorts.  The ultimate goal would be to connect remotely to the laptop and interact with the screen/display he's looking at.  The VNC/AT&T docs make it sound as though a virtual display is created aside from any active ones and avoids active ones entirely, which in my mind's eye would leave me with a connection as though I were a thin client merely using the resources of the host machine, in this case, the laptop.

If my interpretation is inaccurate, any details would be appreciated.  If the assumption is correct, any thoughts as to how to achieve the desired goal would be very helpful!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: VNC question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:55:52 AM »
There are two kinds of VNC servers, the standalone kind you listed, and one that exports an existing X screen. You want the latter, look for x11vnc.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
Re: VNC question
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 02:09:10 AM »
Thank you; I'll dig into it shortly!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair