WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: piCore 6.0 Beta2  (Read 11494 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
piCore 6.0 Beta2
« on: December 06, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »
Team Tiny Core is pleased to announce that piCore 6.0 Beta2 is available for public testing:

http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/6.x/armv6/release_candidates/

This is a beta level cut. If you decide to help test, then please test carefully. We don't want anyone to lose data.

Since this is an beta cut, although the team has worked through several preview cuts, we ask that only experienced users test. This cut is not for production use. The features in any beta may change before a public release candidate is available.

Note that the fltk library has been updated to 1.3.3 to enable unicode. fltk-1.1 and 1.3 can be installed at the same time, and old apps using 1.1 will continue to work.

We appreciate testing and feedback.

Changelog for 6.0 Beta2:

* kernel updated to 3.17.4
* RPi firmware updated to December 3 release
* serial terminal now started by default
* preinstalled components updated

Changelog for 6.0 Beta1:

* kernel updated to 3.17.3
* glibc updated to 2.20
* gcc updated to 4.9.2
* e2fsprogs base libs/apps updated to 1.42.12
* util-linux base libs/apps updated to 2.25.2
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:06:47 PM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline meo

Re: piCore 6.0 Beta2
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »
Hi bmarkus!

Took the second beta for a little spin today and it seems just OK! Good work!

Have fun making TC for RPi 'shine',
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:27:43 AM »
Thanks Meo
Béla

Offline gavinmc42

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »
SSH, X version working so far.

Was just wondering if the I/O stuff should be included as standard.

I can access the GPIO pins through /sys/class...

But for i2c sensors I use i2c-tools, so it is the 1st thing I install.

Have not done SPI in PiCore yet so not sure what is needed.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 11:05:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding I/O I2C and SPI kernel modules part of base.
Béla

Offline gavinmc42

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:59:53 AM »
Yep, Also must remember to turn off serial console now.

Was trying new version SSH it boots then does nothing.
Commenting out #/sbin/getty in bootlocal.sh got keyboard back.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:01:27 AM »
Yep, Also must remember to turn off serial console now.

Was trying new version SSH it boots then does nothing.
Commenting out #/sbin/getty in bootlocal.sh got keyboard back.

Tested with SSH image downloaded from the server. Keyboard, serial terminal and SSH works out of box as expected.
Béla

Offline jgrulich

• GRULICH DESIGN - R&D Lab.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 04:49:52 AM »
Tested X version with installed wifi.tcz. Still need to be installed additional rtlwifi firmware to work with RTL8188CUS dongle.
After the reboot there are still module loading issues at variety hardware around USB hub. The 5 sec delay is not enough.
The LAN network need some time to start working and WiFi is even more delayed and not stable. The LED on the dongle is still ON independently on the state. I've tried to copy the older 5.3 driver module to work without need of additional firmware and be more stable but it's not working at all. Probably the kernel compatibility issue.

Offline meo

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 06:50:31 AM »
Hi Y'all!

Just wanted to say that I can confirm what jgrulich says about the lan network. Yesterday I was just going to check if a program I like was available for the 6.0 beta 2 cut. Apps wouldn't load and I had an error message about the network. Tried again with the same result. Then I opened a terminal and issued:  $ifconfig wich confirmed that I finally had a network connection. So it seems that it can take a while before the network actually is up even with cable.

Have fun,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 07:04:50 AM »
Meo

which version you tried, Base, SSH or X? Where is your DHCP server in the network?

Béla
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 06:11:34 AM »
The LAN network need some time to start working

Please be more specific what 'some time' means and how are you measuring.

In my environment I do not see issues with networking, including wireless. Referring to wireless, there can be many issues including the wireless stick, kernel module (is it supported), firmware (is it the proper version?), power (is stick connected to RPi or a HUB), if to a HUB is it powered or, not, you can get issues with your Access Point as well as DHCP server and so on.

Béla

Offline meo

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »
Hi bmarkus!

Sorry that I wasn't specific in my post. I'm running the X version of the second beta of piCore 6.0 and I have three Raspberry Pies connected to a switch (two are running 24/7) the third I use with various distributions available for RPi. The switch is connected to a router and normally in my experience when I start the third RPi it connects directly to the internet but that wasn't the case as I told. Starting Apps I got an error message about checking the network something. It happened a couple of times but, like I said, when I tried ifconfig I had connection to the internet and after that I checked for the program I was interested in (e.g. omxplayer) but couldn't find it in the repo. It would be a good program to add to the repository. Hope this post clarified the previous post.  ;)

Keep up the good work,
meo

PS Posting this as I'm trying out the TC rc1 DS
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:48:51 AM by meo »

Offline meo

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »
Hi again!

Will try it out again tomorrow to see if it was just a glitch in my setup or it is persistant. Right now my screen (e.g. TV) occupied by my girls looking at the Nobel dinner.

Will get back tomorrow,
meo

Offline jgrulich

• GRULICH DESIGN - R&D Lab.
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »
Hi bmarkus,

as I've wrote, it is the same story for me. I'm using the X version. Everything is working well for the 5.x build, but not for the 6.0 beta1, or beta2. ifconfig says that everything is fine and that the IP is obtained, but when I use ping on the router, there is no response for several seconds and that is starts to work with some lost packets and long responses. The wifi is working well for the 5.x build, nothing is different with the HW setup for 6.0 testing, even the SD card is the same. There need to be some difference in the driver structure. In the 5.x build is works out-of-the-box, means only the core driver module, without any binary firmware loaded and it works. But for 6.0 there are errors during the startup which indicates that there is something wrong with the bcm2807 chipset setup and that modules for USB hub and other loading fails. Don't know how to copy the error messages from the main screen via the SSH.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 12:04:48 AM »
Hi

thanks. Please post dmesg output for 5.x and 6.0. You can save it to file with

Code: [Select]
dmesg > dmesg.txt
and transfer with mc, copy with scp, etc. Another way is just pront dmesg to screen and copy it to clipbord in your terminal. There are no related change from 5.x to 6.0 in the base, but we have a different kernel which can make a difference.

Let's see dmesg files first. You can post them here or email to picoresubmit@gmail.com
Béla