WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Lenovo Miix 2 10  (Read 7594 times)

Offline Curious#A62A2A

Lenovo Miix 2 10
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
A couple of years ago I built a lite setup with diskless thin clients running TC and I fell in love.
Now I've gotten my hands on a Lenovo Miix 2 10 (Intel Atom Z3740D Baytrail ) and has been faffing around with a few distros, none has been awesome stability wise.
Now I'm back with my beloved TC and am running in to a few problems.
I'm running CorePlus from USB btw.

1. TC doesn't seem to detect the eMMC that serves as a harddrive in the miix
2. I can't seem to detect sd cards put into the reader
3. I can't get a GUI to actually start, it just hangs. All I get i the underscore marker from the console in the top left corner and a black screen.
4. Wifi. Fedora detects it and the driver seems to be brcmfmac
5. Pretty much all the non important stuff like cameras, hardware buttons and sound.

What works is that I can start in textmode and get the proper native resolution by default (1920x1200x32) by default.

What I need some help with really where to start, I can't seem to invoke the right stuff to get any log output and would appreciate a few pointers.

Edit: I tried CorePlus-current first and now I'm playing with the 6.0 Beta
Edit #2: Seems I misplaced this post, could I have some help with moving it to the proper category?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:45:48 PM by Curious#A62A2A »

Offline Misalf

Re: Lenovo Miix 2 10
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 09:29:25 AM »
Maybe that's caused by the way you installed TC to your USB device.
If in console and you enter  ce , to which directory does it change to?
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Curious#A62A2A

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 02:23:18 PM »
ce points me to the directory /mnt/sda3/tce which is correct but thanks for the heads up. It made me rethink a few things and I've managed to fiddle in Xorg 7.7 and now I'm at least getting a GUI.
The grub2-efi package can't for some reason boot TC on this machine, I just get "booting blind" and it hangs. Luckily I had a leftover grub2 from an earlier Fedora install on the drive already so I hacked together some conf and got it booted that way.
If people don't mind I'll keep this thread for reporting what I did to get things working on a baytrail tablet. Might be helpful for others since the market is saturated with inexpensive baytrail stuff.

Next step is Wifi, then I'm going for getting the touchscreen to wake up.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
If people don't mind I'll keep this thread for reporting what I did to get things working on a baytrail tablet.
I doubt anyone would mind. (:

--

I have very little experience with UEFI and I hope I don't lead you to unnecessary steps. However, it seems to me that Barry Kauler (the puppy linux guy) have had a similar 'blind boot' annoyance with a Win8 machine but has, at least partially, fixed it:
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00095
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00099
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00108
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00109
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:27:21 PM by Misalf »
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »
If by "blind boot' you mean that the boot proceeds without anything appearing on the screen until the boot successfully completes, you can fix this by issuing a couple of grub2-efi graphics commands.

Offline Curious#A62A2A

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »
Another good heads up.
It seems the main problem was that I accidentally omitted the waitusb kernel parameter.
It sure boots after little while.
It's time to do some tinkering.
This is like therapy for me, I work in the other end of linux so to speak. Thousands of server and large scale deployments and weird company politics.
It's nice to actually just have to care about actual technical issues :D

Offline Curious#A62A2A

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 12:05:57 PM »
After some fiddling back and forth.
At least I have a booting image.
Things still remaining:
1. Detecting the eMMC
2. Getting wifi to work
3. Getting the touchscreen to work
4. Audio
5. Bluetooth
6. Installing the Apps I actually want to use

If someone is looking for a sweet tablet to run linux on don't get the miix 2 10, but if you want proper challenge go for it ;)
I've been playing around with fedlet which is a Fedora fork for bay trail tablets. It works nice until I touch the eMMC, then the clocksource goes haywire.