Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

Tinycore libraries

<< < (2/3) > >>

Yleisajattelija:
I think TC has "healthy" linux distribution and among those few distributions which try to minimimize linux. One valuable property of TC is that it is made to be expandable. There is command line core, which you can expand to grafical environment. Even xterm/xorg grafical is small and efficient.

Of course, you can do that with other distroes, but they are not meant to be like that.

GNU-linux is free code environment, so programmers have free choise to use tools they want. So they do, and many popular applications are made by "strange" tools. And lot of work is made on universities with brand new programming languages. If you like to be install all apllications, you need huge variety of different shell script languges, compilers, window mangers, grafical libraries etc.

I think, if debian system would be efficiently designed, all applications would need at least 10 times less storage/memory. You wouldn't really need 15 pieces of almost identical grafical libraries, but becouse of free code, there is no way to force coders to use same tools/libraries.

So, in practice, to minimize linux you have to choose applications, it is only way to try to limit size/complexity of the system.

One valuable issues is scalabilty, it is very convenient first to boot only with kernel and minimum set of commands and tools. Next stage you typically need xterm/vesa and then Xorg.

At the other hand, sometimes I want use those many applications which are made for unix/linux, but then I have to accept terabits of unefficient code. Practical solution is to use separate TC USB-sticks with diffrent setup.

Yleisajattelija:
As we know Debian is using FHS: https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apcs02.html.en

But that is not defining "/usr" internals.

TC uses "/usr/local" for installation point for .tcz packages and unfortunatelly some applications hardcode libraries and configuration files to "/lib" and "/etc".

I tried to compile "SANE", and only way to install it TC environment was to force independent library modules.

I read Fedora main developer paper for Fedora internals for this "application layers/libraries" issue and seems that it it universal problem for linux distributions, not just TC.

Juanito:

--- Quote from: Yleisajattelija on September 18, 2014, 11:59:50 PM ---I tried to compile "SANE", and only way to install it TC environment was to force independent library modules.

--- End quote ---

I'm not totally sure what you mean by this, but sane-{backends,frontends} compile to /usr/local against existing tinycore extensions without problems.

Yleisajattelija:
It has some time when I tried to compile SANE, so situation may be better nowdays.

Tinycore main principal to reserve "/lib" and "usr/lib" directories for TC system is nice and clean but it is not possible becouse of bad application code. If is not possible to isolate .tcz packakes to "/usr/local" directory. If "lib", "usr/lib", "/etc" directories have to be opened to application stuff it must be controlled somehow.

Using subdirectories is not good idea (tried several times), library directories must be linear (dynamic linking problems).

Good solution this problem is obviously very difficult to find.

Is dCore The Solution for this problem?

Juanito:

--- Quote from: Yleisajattelija on September 19, 2014, 12:26:05 AM ---Tinycore main principal to reserve "/lib" and "usr/lib" directories for TC system is nice and clean but it is not possible becouse of bad application code.

--- End quote ---

I cannot think of any case where an extension needs to have libraries in /usr or /usr/lib - some, like hplip, are more difficult than others, but usually no problems are encountered.

Perhaps you could give an example?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version