WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Problems adding modules/etc to Corepure64  (Read 4584 times)

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
Problems adding modules/etc to Corepure64
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »
I'm not sure this is the right place for this question - happy to see the topic put in the right place

As a step toward patching the 3.8.13 kernel and building some modules, I'm trying to build a plain-jane corepure64 bzImage. I'm following the wiki and every forum post I can find (both here and off-site). On an HP 6910c laptop, everything works - both stock and custom.

On an Acer c720, stock works and custom fails. I can get to a terminal with base norestore on the custom bzImage. Once I load modules, though, the custom version incurs random crashes, complaints from udev and the pci hardware, etc. My PCI/graphics hardware just doesn't work with my custom bzImage. It doesn't matter whether I use the repository modules or my own. I'm really stumped. I can't figure out what is different between stock and my own. I'm thinking it has to be a module problem, right?

My build scripts are attached:
- build-stock.sh: compiles new bzImage + modules from source
- dupe-gz.sh: creates custom.gz by replacing the modules in stock corepure64.gz.

Then I put these two in my boot directory for GRUB, etc.

I've tried the build both distributed (distcc/ccache w/ identical kernel and gcc/extensions on each system) and locally (no distcc, cleared ccache), rebuilt a few times. No luck.

I'll collect a dmesg and add that. Primarily errors/segfaults after installing the graphics modules. Changing the order of module loading helps reduce the number of errors, but only intermittently.

Advice/suggestions?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Problems adding modules/etc to Corepure64
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
Are you using compiletc from the x86_64 repo or toolchain64 from the x86 repo?

It's probably worth trying with both.

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
Good call. I'll try toolchain64.

Clarification: do I need to roll my own module extensions, avoid the repo versions? I was assuming not, since I'm basically rebuilding stock.

EDIT: tried using my own module extensions, doesn't help. [sigh].
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:15:45 PM by dentonlt »

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
dmesg output from custom + custom module extensions. All this built/ran from the x86_64 repo. gpf during modprobe.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 02:23:29 AM »
There are a few issues with recent gcc and that kernel version. The older gcc in toolchain64 was used to build it and worked fine.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 07:00:32 AM »
Just as update, I built a working Core x86 for this machine.

Current project: patching the x86 release with the cyapa and chromeos_laptop modules from 3.9 down to 3.8.13. No luck yet. I adjusted/created patches that support a build, but the modules either don't load at all (chromeos_laptop complains of absent hardware) or they do nothing (cyapa). I'll keep at it.

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 08:48:22 PM »
Ok - got a 3.12.5-tinycore working with chromeos_laptop and all the other necessary modules for a c720 running kernel version. I'll set about back-porting this for 3.8.13, then back to the Corepure64 problem.

Might not get done this week [sigh].