WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Using NILFS partition for /home & /opt  (Read 2762 times)

Offline ViktorNova

Using NILFS partition for /home & /opt
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:56:26 AM »
Hello! I recently discovered NILFS,  which basically seems like the ultimate filesystem for SSDs and any machine likely to get improperly shut down on a regular basis
http://nilfs.sourceforge.net

Supposedly NILFS support had been baked into the Linux kernel for quite some time, but I get an invalid partition error when trying to use a NILFS partition for /home and /opt

How might I go about getting this to work? I'm pretty new to Tiny Core / dCore, but I already like it a lot and at least understand the basics. Would using NILFS as the root partition be possible as well? I'm assuming I'm going to need to make a new initrd or kernel, or...?

By the way this is my first post! I wanted to take a quick second to say hi and that I really appreciate the existence of dCore. I've spent a lot of time in Porteus (Slackware-based), which is more bulky, but similar in many ways to Tiny Core, and I'm excited to find something that combines an embedded-type environment with Debian packages, it's very intuitive and I'll probably be around for awhile =D

-Viktor

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Using NILFS partition for /home & /opt
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:43:27 PM »
Hi ViktorNova,
Hi, and I am glad you are enjoying using dCore.  NILFS is not built into the Core/dCore kernel nor available as a module.   The dCore kernel is the same as used in Core, as I believe in a common kernel between the two.  I am not familiar with NILFS myself, but  I see it NILFS module and nilfs-tools is available in Debian.  But since filesystem support is not dCore specific, I would rather it be done in step with what is available in Core since both could benefit if we want to make it available as a module extension.

Perhaps others can chime in on this.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:20:56 AM »
NILFS was still unstable/experimental in the kernel version we're using, 3.8. I would recommend against building it as a module for the 3.8 kernel, as it could risk your data.

So if you want to use NILFS, you'll need to build a more recent kernel where it's stable.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 05:04:17 AM »
Perhaps can be included in filesystems-3.x.x the next kernel upgrade.  If not, as it will be stable a module extension can be built at that time.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:08:00 AM »
filesystems-* includes all stable fs, so nilfs will be in 6.x yes.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.