WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Facebook bigHomeFiles  (Read 1954 times)

Offline thane

Facebook bigHomeFiles
« on: May 25, 2014, 03:04:54 PM »
I ran into an odd thing today. My backup during shutdown has seemed slower than usual lately, with a larger mydata.tgz than I usually have. When I checked System Stats bigHomeFile there were three 1M Facebook files in the .mozilla/firefox/57qtynf6.default/storage/temporary directory. I don't know if this was the result of some abnormal exit from Facebook or if Facebook is trying to pull something (in light of recent revelations I admit to a certain paranoia about the good intentions of Facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc.). Anybody else ever see something like this (with Facebook or anything else)?

Also the recent versions of Firefox seem to inflate the mydata.tgz file too, but that's a separate issue.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Facebook bigHomeFiles
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »
You might try adding temporary to /opt/.xfiletool.lst.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »
A few of my firefox files are stored on disk (settings, plugins, bookmarks,) and symlinked to the  ~/.mozilla  directory.
I exclude several big files from backup, though (most *.sqlite etc). Keeping those files wouldn't improve my personal browsing experience.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:38:50 AM »
Yes, I recently excluded the webappstore.sqlite file from my backup. Makes shutdown faster and the mydata.tgz file smaller, with no apparent negative effects so far.

The large Facebook file issue hasn't reoccurred so that may have been a fluke.