WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: gtk2 and gtk3  (Read 2359 times)

Offline thane

gtk2 and gtk3
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »
I understand that there are now gtk3 versions of two apps I use, audacious and evince. However the main apps I use (Firefox + Flash) will probably be gtk2 for some time to come, Flash probably forever. So wondering if having gtk2 and gtk3 together would cause any conflicts and/or a huge increase in the number/size of dependencies. If so I'll probably stay with gtk2 apps until Firefox moves to gtk3 and html5 can fully replace Flash. Any info appreciated.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: gtk2 and gtk3
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 11:55:15 AM »
gtk2 / gtk3 applications do not interfere, you can heve both gt2 and gtk3 installed. What can be an issue the used theme, you need one which supports both gtk2 and gtk3 to have the same visual appearance.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »
I've been using the epiphany browser with gtk3 for a couple of months now - it seems to work reasonably well - no flash, but the html5 seems to be OK.

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I downloaded epiphany in cloud mode (booting from CD with the TC 5.0 ISO). Besides having a huge number of dependencies, epiphany was broken when I tried to run it. Error message was:

epiphany: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libgtk-3.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_add_instance_private

Looks like a bad library, maybe because I was booting from an outdated ISO? I checked for extension updates but there weren't any.

Anyway, I think I'll stick with gtk2 apps for now, but revisit the issue if the apps start getting seriously outdated.

Thanks again for the help.