WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: advice for GMPC in TC5.x  (Read 11996 times)

Offline gavs

advice for GMPC in TC5.x
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
Trying gmpc.tcz ftom TC4.x in TC5.2. One missing dependency in the TC5.x repo, gnutls2.tcz. I got that from the TC4.x repo. After installing gnutls2 and gmpc I get an error when trying to start gmpc. It is looking for libpng12. TC5.x includes version 1.6 of libpng.

Question 1: Does this mean gmpc should be compiled in TC5.x?

Since I am interested in an updated version of GMPC, I tried building in TC5.2 (I had sent a pm to maintainer but have not heard back). Two dependencies needed for building were missing in the TC5.x repo, gob2.tcz and libunique-dev.tcz. I got these from the TC4.x repo and tried to build. Configuration completed but when I tried 'make' I got an error message that it could not find libpng12.la.

Question 2: Was this error due to using gob2 and/or libunique from the TC4.x repo which were built with libpng version 1.2?

Question 3: If the answer to Question 2 is NO, does it mean there is reference to libpng12 in the GMPC source and I should contact the author to ask if he can update?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: advice for GMPC in TC5.x
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:54:52 PM »
One way to check the dependencies of tc-4.x extensions in tc-5.x is to download and mount the extension squashfs in tc-5.x:
Code: [Select]
$ mkdir /tmp/test /tmp/image
$ cd /tmp/test
$ wget -c http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/tcz/gmpc.tcz
$ sudo mount gmpc.tcz /tmp/image
$ ldd /tmp/image/usr/local/bin/gmpc | grep png
        libpng12.so.0 => not found
..so to answer your question 1, yes gmpc would need to be recompiled in tc-5.x against the updated libpng and the updated gnutls.

To answer question 2, gob2 does not depend on libpng, but libunique does depend on libpng and so would need to be recompiled for tc-5.x.

It's effectively already answered, but for question 3, yes an update to the gmpc extensions is required - the gmpc source should find and link against libpng16, but the older the source the more likely it is that there may be problems.

Offline gavs

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:51:22 AM »
Thank you for the hint on how to easily check dependencies and for the advice about getting gmpc to work.

I will follow these steps:
1. Send pm asking if maintainer of libunique (Arslan S.) would comile/update against TC5.x
2. Try to compile gmpc with updated libunique.
   2.a. If successful, I will try to build the .tcz of gmpc version 11.8 compiled against TC5.x and submit.
   2.b. If unsuccessful, I will contact gmpc author and ask if updating source to libpng16 is possible.
   2.c. Anticipating that updating gmpc source might not be easily or immediately available, I saw reference to co-existence of libpng12 with libpng16 to support legacy software.
     Question: Is it sensible to think of copying libpng from TC4.x repo, unsquashing, removing any redundant links, and squashing as new libpng12.tcz?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »
Let's try the gmpc re-compile first  ;)

Offline gavs

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »
OK. I guess proper etiquette is to wait a few days for libunique maintainer to respond (I sent a pm asking if they could recompile in TC5.x). When I get a reply I can try to re-compile gmpc.

By the way, should/could gob2.tcz be copied from the TC4.x repositories to the TC5.x?

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 09:24:39 AM »
Hi gavs
Arslan S. hasn't been active since last May, so you might want to try compiling anyway.
By the way, should/could gob2.tcz be copied from the TC4.x repositories to the TC5.x?
It would be better to make sure it doesn't cause any problems with gmpc first.

Offline gavs

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
Unsuccessful attempt to build libunique.

I installed compiletc.tcz, gtk2-dev.tcz and dbus-glib-dev.tcz. Configuration complained about missing 'gl' package required by cairo. I installed glu-dev.tcz.

Question: Was this the correct choice?

Configuration completed after glu-dev was installed. Make then reported the following error:
  CC    libunique_dbus_la-uniquefactory-dbus.lo
uniquefactory-dbus.c: In function 'unique_factory_dbus_send_message':
uniquefactory-dbus.c:71:3 error: g_value_array_get_nth' is deprecated (declared at /usr/local/include/glib-2.0/gobject/gvaluearray.h:65): Use 'GArray' instead [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]

This was repeated 4 more times with 72, 73, 75 and 76 in place of 71.

Question: Is there something I can do to make this work or does this mean that libunique will not compile in TC5.x?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »
does the patch on the blfs (svn) page for libunique help?

Offline gavs

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 07:13:59 PM »
Thank you for the tips and your patience.

I got the following patch:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/blfs/svn/libunique-1.1.6-upstream_fixes-1.patch

I also got autoconf.tcz from the TC5.x repo and re-extracted the files for libunique-1.1.6 using tar.
I entered:
$ patch -Np1 -i ../libunique-1.1.6-upstream_fixes-1.patch
and I see the messages 'Possibly reversed hunk 2 at 288, Hunk 2 FAILED 23/23.' and 'Possibly reversed hunk 1 at 141, Hunk 1 FAILED 12/12.'

I suppose not surprisingly, when I entered:
$ autoreconf -fi
I see the message 'failed to run aclocal: No such file'

What did I do wrong?

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 09:22:17 PM »
Hi gavs
I see an  aclocal  in  automake.tcz

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »
maybe you've figured it out already, but  because of the poosibility of needing the lib for another use
I built  libunique-1.0.so in corepure64-5.2

I needed many more deps than expected

these wererequired to build
gtk2-gir.tcz
gtk2-dev.tcz
atk-dev.tcz
libtool-dev.tcz
gobject-introspection-dev.tcz
atk-gir.tcz
gdk-pixbuf2-gir.tcz
pango-gir.tcz

these were already loaded &/or run (whether they were neeed or not)

linux-kernel-sources-env.tcz
  compiletc.tcz
  automake.tcz
  findutils.tcz
  bash.tcz
  ncurses-dev.tcz
  perl5.tcz

Appeared to be successful  using the same patch, configure, make & make install as in LFS
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:52:23 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline gavs

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:56:14 AM »
Inching ahead, but not there yet.

I added the dependencies suggested by Coreplayer2. This time the patch command seemed to complete successfully. The output was several lines saying 'patching file ...' without any warning or error messages. Thank you Coreplayer2.

I am still getting a warning/error(?) message from the autoreconf command. As Rich noted, I confirmed that there is an /usr/local/share/aclocal directory. I should have been more careful about reporting the error message. The exact message is:

Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /usr/local/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 326.
autoreconf: failed to run aclocal: No such file or directory

I took a look at FileUtils.pm in the vicinity of line 326, but I could not decipher what the problem might be. I did not try the make after this message. Didn't know if I should ignore the message and push on.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »

Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /usr/local/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 326.
autoreconf: failed to run aclocal: No such file or directory

Did you install automake.tcz ?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 08:33:18 AM »
Hi gavs
And is  autoconf.tcz  installed?

Offline gavs

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »
Thank you for the prompt responses. I did have autoconf.tcz installed but I did not know about automake.tcz. After loading automake the autoreconf command appears to have executed. Some warning messages about 'no AC_LANG_SOURCE call detected' and 'INCLUDES is the old name for AM_CPPFLAGS'. I assume these are not serious.

The linuxfromscratch site indicates use of some options for configuration that I have questions about.

Question 1. Suggested --prefix=/usr. Should I keep the default /usr/local?
Question 2.  Suggested --disable-dbus. Should I omit this? I have the dbus-glib extension loaded.
Question 3. Suggested --disable-static. Should I use this or omit?