WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing Dropbear on A10 5.x  (Read 6057 times)

Offline gigamegawatts

Installing Dropbear on A10 5.x
« on: September 15, 2013, 07:23:13 PM »
Hi,

I'm running TCL 5 on a Cubieboard. 

First off, I must say how impressed I am with TCL.  Until I tried TCL, I had given up on ever using the Cubieboard as a PC with a full GUI: it was just too slow.  With TCL, it's insanely fast!

I've run into a problem with Dropbear.  I'm trying to install it, following the instructions at http://tinycorelinux.net/5.x/armv7/Allwinner-A10/README-dropbear.txt.

I did all of the steps on my x86 PC running the TinyCore CD, and have a backup of the specified files in mydata.tgz on an SD card. 

Ummm, now what? 

Although the README doesn't say so, I figured I needed to install Dropbear on TCL 5 on the Cubieboard, then copy the settings and key files from mydata.tgz.  I ran import -b dropbear on the Cubieboard, and while that completed without any errors, there is no /etc/init.d/dropbear file, and I can't find any other dropbear files on the Cubieboard. 

Unless I'm missing something, the x86 files backed up in mydata.tgz won't work without the dropbear executables, will they?

Thanks,

Dan

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Installing Dropbear on A10 5.x
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »
Thanks for the kind words regarding dCore on Cubieboard.
To get dropbear on your cubieboard..

First create the sce with

import dropbear

Then when you want to use it:

loadsce dropbear

- or -
If you will always want dropbear loaded everytime you boot then you can use:

import -b dropbear

I always use dropbear and rsync, both are available for easy import as prebuilt packages.

I will have to review that README. Might be that it is no longer applicable or is a special case.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:24:58 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline beerstein

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 04:01:31 AM »
HI gigamegawatt:
Which Cubieboard are you using? cubieboard 1 or cubieboard2?
Do you have a GUI installed?
Is dCore running in NAND or on the SD card?

I have a cubieboard2 and planning to install TCL,
Is there a new dCore 5.0 already available?

t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline gigamegawatts

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »
Hi beerstein,

I have a Cubieboard V1.  In TCL, I'm running an LXDE GUI from an SD card. 

The latest dCore 5 for the A10 was released Sept 4.  It's been very stable for me: I've installed Midori, Emacs, PCManFM, and all of them worked "out of the box", no extra configuration needed.

I don't know whether the Cubieboard V2 will work with Tiny Core Linux, since it has a different processor, the A20. 

Dan.

Offline beerstein

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 02:06:18 PM »
thank you for your quick response. So I understand that you booted into dCore 5.0 CLI and then installed LXDE on top of it. Is this the case?

I have not yet started to play with my cubieboard2 but I red that it uses the same instruction set as the cubieboard1.

I will start soon and then might come back for help.
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline gigamegawatts

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »
Beerstein,

Yes, that's basically it.  The full details are in a couple of README files:

- http://tinycorelinux.net/5.x/armv7/Allwinner-A10/README-1st.txt: instructions for creating a bootable SD card and configuring TCL from the command line

- http://tinycorelinux.net/5.x/armv7/Allwinner-A10/README-X-Desktop.txt: instructions for installing X Server and LXDE.  If you prefer a different desktops (e.g. OpenBox or XFCE4), there are various READMEs in the same directory 

It was pretty impressive: TCL identified the HDMI port and figured out my Ethernet settings at first bootup, so no extra configuration was required. The only Cubieboard-specific change I made was to change the resolution to 1920x1080 - that requires a change to the "script.bin" file that you'll find documented in the Cubieboard forums.

Dan.

Offline gigamegawatts

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »
Robert,

Yes, you're right: the "import -b dropbear" is all I needed.  The instructions in the README regarding the use of an x86 PC are no longer necessary.

dCore continues to amaze me: it's handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

Thanks,

Dan.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. I have removed the README-dropbear.txt as it is no longer needed.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.