WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: app borwser download the deps even they exists (as other extension type)  (Read 4108 times)

Offline jls

if I download from the appbrowser a tcz that has dependences, those are downloaded even they exists (as tce).

ps. legalize all
dCore user

Offline mcewanw

Yes, I wondered about that issue to.

However, if a user wants to move from using tce's mainly to tcz's mainly then I feel that they are likely to also want the tcz versions of any required dependencies. Otherwise, it becomes quite a task having to download all the dependencies in tcz form manually.

But there obviously remains a problem for those who don't "want" the tcz versions of dependencies too. Perhaps the user can be asked (via appbrowser coding changes) if they want to download the tcz dependencies for cases where they already have tce versions (or vice versa)?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
I don't see this behavior.

I downloaded xchat-2.8.6.tce via appbrowser on a pristine state machine.
Of course all the gtk2 tce type deps were also download into the tce directory.

Then, to test, I deleted only the xchat* files from the tce directory, leaving in tact all those gtk2 tce files.
After a reboot, I then went to appbrowser and downloaded xchat-1.2.8.tcz and only that was downloaded.

The download script uses /usr/local/tce.installed to check if an extension is already loaded on the system. If you look at that directory, there is no extension type indicated only the base name of the extension.

Perhaps, I have misunderstood. Please supply specifics that can be reproduced.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline junan

maybe jls_legalize mean when load a tcz , inside .dep file contain tcz extension that already installed as tce. tcz loaded without check that the dependencies already load as tce extension not tcz. maybe in tce-load can check if depedencies already load whether as tcz or tce.
fun and fearless ...

Offline mikshaw

Maybe there is a minor difference in the filenames listed in the dep file, such as an included version number.  For example, the Audacious TCE dep lists audacious-plugins.tce, and the TCZ dep lists audacious-plugins-1.5.1.tcz

Offline jls

In my test the extensions are not loaded, but they just exists in the optional dir.

ps. no state no jail
dCore user

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
In my test the extensions are not loaded, but they just exists in the optional dir.

ps. no state no jail

why would that be a problem? If you're just downloading, then you can chose which to load....or am I missing something? 

Offline jls

I use download becacause I use PPI, if I choose install, the extensions are downloaded in the main tce dir and on next reboot will be uneedly reinstalled (if they are PPI compatible, and most of them are).
So after If I press download they are downloaded in the optional dir.
Then I click on file, install optional and I choose the app I downloaded, so it get installed.
dCore user

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
yes....the only point I was making was that it's okay to have both tce and tcz  versions in the optional folder to choose from.  (i.e., as long as the script isn't installing both to the tce/tcz folder...which apparently it's not).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:37:51 AM by jpeters »

Offline junan

i think it will be better if appbrowser can check if a depedencies already installed (as tce or tcz) or not before install or download. if we check at Control Panel -> System Stats -> extensions , there only the extension name without information whether tce or tcz loaded.
fun and fearless ...

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
i think it will be better if appbrowser can check if a depedencies already installed (as tce or tcz) or not before install or download. if we check at Control Panel -> System Stats -> extensions , there only the extension name without information whether tce or tcz loaded.

It already works that way!  System stats reports on /usr/local/tce.installed, which as I already mentioned in my previous post, is checked to determine if a download is needed or not. The extension's extension (tce/tcz) has nothing to do with it.

jls is mixing PPI and PPR/optional, one is for persistence and the other assumes not. They, PPI & PPR are separate modes of operation. It is not a bug.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
I wouldn't mind having live links to the download repos , or the ability to download already installed apps to /optional.  If there's an update, I'd like to be able to manually delete and copy in the revised version without having to reboot.